• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sony and digiscoping (1 Viewer)

Haggis

"Yes, the one with the binnoculars."
HELP! I have a Sony F717. I would like a scope that would match the capabilities of my camera. That is... not too good and not too bad. Here are some of my questions... help would be greatly appreciated.

What is the story on brands like Celestron, Tel Vue, Kowa? What are they missing, if anything?

The Swarovski 80mm (latest) seems to be perferred by a majority of scopers. Are you paying for name or glass?

Does the light you gain going from a 60mm to an 80mm make a significant difference in your day to day digiscoping?

With my internal zoom, do I need a zoom eye piece?

Please help if you can... if you give the right advice you will be rewarded with more great photos in the gallery. <G> It's true, I'm begging for information.

Thank you and I look forward to your response.

Haggis :h?:

Haggis said:
HELP! I have a Sony F717. I would like a scope that would match the capabilities of my camera. That is... not too good and not too bad. Here are some of my questions... help would be greatly appreciated.

Regarding your general questions check out the many digiscoping web sites that have lots of good advice, for example
http://www.digiscoped.com/

For a site with examples of digiscoping with the Sony DSC-V1 camera and a Zeiss scope check out Stephen Ingraham's site

http://www.lightshedder.com/digiscoping/

Dalcio

Dacol:

It was a disjointed group of questions I asked... thanks for your help. I still don't know what configuration I'm going to get. However, www.digiscoped.com was helpful. Thanks again,

Haggis

I did not succeed, even with Scoptronics Maxview, to couple the 717 to any of my scopes without vignetting. Getting 20% into the digital zoom fixed the problem, at a cost of extra magnification and some quality loss, so I've abandoned the idea and keep on with digiscoping using my old CP4500.

Digital zoom... ugh! Okay, that's depressing. I don't have another camera to fall back on. Hmm...

Thanks for your response though.

Haggis

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back