• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Recent sketches (3 Viewers)

Whilst I'm at it and in wader mode, a trio of Greenshank sketches, which at the trime I thought were c**p, but just looking at them now, hmmmmm.

Time for crtitique: eye of the snoozing bird is clearly in the wrong place. If it's traced and worked up for an illustration, when the eye should be re-done, am I losing all artistic merit by cheating? I'm a firm believer in 'done from life' and Lars would never re-do it, would he?
An attempt to draw a rather poorly looking bird, which was constantly holding it's bill open (discarded fishing tackle I fear, it did leave a few days later and hopefully regained that greenshank-like vitality), and one of a resting bird which looks like it's been on loads of East German shot-putter endorsed steroids ( I think it was a female anyway). A rather different take on a greenshanks which might appear in forthcoming bird report - if I think it good enough.

Comments and cons criticism always welcome

Cheers

Russ

Attachments

• 17 October 2010 (5).jpg
    17 October 2010 (5).jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 39
  • 17 October 2010 (6).jpg
    17 October 2010 (6).jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 40
  • 17 October 2010 (7).jpg
    17 October 2010 (7).jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 43
another bunch of superb sketching - the lapwings are great as you've got all their internal planes and shapes, not just an outline filled in with flat pattern. I think you can feel free to change the position of the eye, your artistic integrity intact as you've seen the mistake.

Hi Russ - believe what you will about LJ and his sticklership to a one and only reality - it is, after all, just one reality in a cosmos of infinites . . . . but - be comforted in the knowledge that one or two fairly decent practitioners of this drawing from life malarky would regularly draw and redraw the same bird in the same pose until an asolute essence of spontenaity was achieved - takes time and effort this instant spontaneity, yer know ;). Dr Ennion and CFT worked their @rses off getting drawings right. These drawings of yours are well on the way to being spot-on. Why not re-work them with the hindsight of experience and a decent table to rest on?

Everything we do is important. If the Universe(s) worked by correcting the Imperfect, we would immediately understand EVERYTHING!
I think the key is to "strive for Harmony," but be mindfull that in the "loose-ends" the mystery gives an impossible understanding. And, in that, perfect Balance is understood.
In my mind, Perfection is unattainable. Because ALL is mutable. Ever changing.
Thus, to capture is a fruitless task. But to capture a Moment is laudable. A
It is the Moment, in my opinion, that clinches everything.
Detail, posture, blah blah.nd, often, attainable!
The whole World will always know if the sketch is Honest. For they will understand that you have captured the Moment.
Nobody can lie in this way.
Do not strive to capture Perfection in your sketches.
But find Joy in the Truth of your Subject.
In this way, the "mess" of your Honesty will be understood by all - as a capture of Beauty.
It may be a few scribbled lines in a miasma of a "Shopping Mall of Scribbles?"

But the more you loosen up and don't care about what others think. Or how they will judge your work, the more, I believe, they will desire to see your work.

Cut out the middle-man.

The "End-User."

The relationship should be between you and your amazing subject.

Any later detracters will only see the pure JOY you recounted in a Moment.

And WHO can argue, or, even, discuss this.

Advice ONLY!

Keep up the lovely work Russ....It is SUPERB! :t:

Hi Russ - believe what you will about LJ and his sticklership to a one and only reality - it is, after all, just one reality in a cosmos of infinites . . . . but - be comforted in the knowledge that one or two fairly decent practitioners of this drawing from life malarky would regularly draw and redraw the same bird in the same pose until an asolute essence of spontenaity was achieved - takes time and effort this instant spontaneity, yer know ;). Dr Ennion and CFT worked their @rses off getting drawings right. These drawings of yours are well on the way to being spot-on. Why not re-work them with the hindsight of experience and a decent table to rest on?

All very true. But I really had to chuckle at the very last line, and perhaps the most important one, ' a decent table to rest on!' Do what you need to get the drawing that you want. I always think about how much easier it would be to get a straight line in my drawings from life if I had such a table.

As far as I can tell the only rules in art are ones made by earlier artists. Then new artists come along, break them and create a new set of rules to be broken. Just keep doing what seems right to you.

Many thanks for your instructive comments, guys. I shall strive to take on board these pearls of wisdom.
Perhaps, as a relative newcomer to life drawing, it's easy to set standards and put demands on oneself and then be dissapointed when things don't turn out right. I have, over time, realised how difficult it is. It's good to hear guys like Phil tell me what actually isn't attainable, and I now realise it's very important to be inspired do your own thing, but not to compare, which I have been of guilty as of anybody!
The trouble (if you want to call it that) is that it looks so darn easy in the hands of the experts, but then how long have they strived to get where they are? You guys will know!

Reading some rather 'techy' books recently and I have to say I've yet to come across the 'zen-like' state that being totally immersed in something can bring - though I have come close once or twice. I know LJ apparently does!
I shall endeavour not name-drop for a few weeks now, but it's summat I woudn't mind experiencing, master!

Back in to the breech this weekend and already it's getting more of a challenge as the wind picks up and the temps drop. I'm hoping for more inspiring gulls and wildfowl to keep my hand loose!

Russ

The 'fruits' of a few hours sketching cormorants - always absorbing, an ever available subject and a good benchmark to measure progress! A couple of under ripe and over-ripe ones here, though!
Trying to add form but I still find it very difficult to get the neck right (sorry, Phil!) , I meant something like how it goes.
You think you've got that bulge and/or crease nailed until the pencil hits the paper and it's suddenly 'doh!' Still, I think I'm getting there, ever so slowly.

A selection of face on birds, 3/4 on birds and, of course, JB's favourite preenig birds.

What a glorious struggle it is!

Critique welcome as always, and don't be afraid to be stern!

Russ

Attachments

• 24 October 2010 1.jpg
    24 October 2010 1.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 37
  • 24 October 2010 (2).jpg
    24 October 2010 (2).jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 42
  • 24 October 2010 (3).jpg
    24 October 2010 (3).jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 34
  • 24 October 2010 (4).jpg
    24 October 2010 (4).jpg
    107 KB · Views: 33
Four more efforts...

Cheers

Attachments

• 24 October 2010 (5).jpg
    24 October 2010 (5).jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 37
  • 24 October 2010 (6).jpg
    24 October 2010 (6).jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 24 October 2010 (7).jpg
    24 October 2010 (7).jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 38
  • 24 October 2010 (8).jpg
    24 October 2010 (8).jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 45
In my opinion, there is nothing more rewarding than sketching cormorants, they have that solid, hearty mass coupled with elegant, sinous lines. You've got your eye in here very well - all of them a pleasure to see.

Very successful work here Russ - some perfect head-shapes and a couple f the preening drawings are quite masterful. Excellent stuff.

Have to agree with what everyone else has said. I particularly like #1 and 4 of the second bunch. I swear that you're quietly sneaking in a greater value range as well!

Lovely cormorant sketches. I particularly like the quality of line in those head studies (2nd batch): terrific work. Since you asked for a crit I'll just suggest checking size of head compared to size of body. Maybe head should be slightly smaller or body bigger? But I'm just being picky - they're lovely sketches and you should be proud of them.

Tried to sketch a perched up Kestrel today Russ.

Everytime I began to sketch, all I could see in my mind were your versions. I ended up with a badly mugged Parrot and gave up.

I was furious. But, also glad that there is someone out there I can learn from!

Keep up the brilliance and diligent recording. You are a distinct talent. You do not have to aspire to be anyone else.

Your work is INDIVIDUAL, and represents YOU.

The Cormorants are absolutely amazing!

Sketching that Kestrel, I understood more about your absolute TENACITY in what you do! So MUCH work goes into it, and I appreciate your striving for attainment.

That is absolutely ADMIRABLE, and I applaud it.

Brilliant in so many ways friend!

Hi duckies,
Thanks as always for your comments. Thanks also to Jackie for your critique - drawing birds with the head a bit too big seems have a bit of history in bird art! Very, very occasionally, I see finished work of world class artists where the bird has a ever-so-slightly too big a head. I shall have to end my fixation of striving to get things right all the time!
Phil, It's a true honour to have inspired you, mate, but I'd like to know how many bevies you'd had before making such a comment!

A spread of gadwall sketches from Old Moor RSPB. What an understated beast male gadwall is - those fine vermiculations (what a word!) forming beautifully subtle plumage tones contrasting with that thick black @rse. Studying busily feeding birds gives me the chance to get some decent shapes down.
Critique is welcomed as always. Please zoom 'em up as on this batch seems rather light and grainy as posted.

Cheers

Russ

Attachments

• 31 October 2010 1.jpg
    31 October 2010 1.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 31 October 2010 (2).jpg
    31 October 2010 (2).jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 35
  • 31 October 2010 (3).jpg
    31 October 2010 (3).jpg
    87 KB · Views: 35
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back