• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nesting Blue tits (1 Viewer)

mazungu

Hi
I've been very lucky this spring and a pair of Blue tits have taken over the nesting box in my garden. It looks like the eggs have hatched and the feeding frienzy has commenced. However, I can't say for certain that both birds are rearing the chicks as she/they come and go so quickly I can't get a good look at her/them. I think the male has gone for whatever reason (deserted the female, possibly killed - I'm forever chasing off cats and we have a lot of magpies around) so it looks like the female is doing this alone. If so, she's doing a brilliant job, but for how long can she keep this up? Is it feasible for a single mum to rear chicks successfully? Any advice?

Hi, from my very limited experience, the chicks are probably ok if the parent(s) are still coming with food. Sadly the great tit chicks in our nest box died (I don't know why) but the parents immediately stopped going into the box. They would land on the box peg and surrounding branches but never go into the box.

Don't know if a single parent can rear the chicks on her own but survival of the fitest might mean one or two might survive.

I would be interested in an update from your nesting box - hope its good news.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back