• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

woodpeckers (1 Viewer)

fairwinz

Alan Arthur Rawlinson
Anyone claim to be an expert on Woodpecker plumage? I have recently snapped a feeding woodpecker with a glorious blue coat and today one with the black striped coat. Google and the various sites online have left me confused re the actual names. i.e. lesser spotted etc etc Seems both can be that. Sorry to parade my ignorance here!

Attachments

• h40RNqvYQfqIiNhntyWcnA_thumb_6afb.jpg
    h40RNqvYQfqIiNhntyWcnA_thumb_6afb.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Welcome to Birdforum! I am sure that you will find lots to interest you here and I hope that you enjoy your visits.

The woodpecker in your photo is a Great Spotted Woodpecker. It is a male - it has a red patch on the back of the head. The females have no red patches. However, the young woodpeckers have a red cap. You can find out more here.

Hi fairwinz and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

The reason for the confusing blue colouring is simply down to iridescence, the way angles of light change the colours of some feathers. You can read more about that in our Opus Dictionary here. This is why you may see a male Mallard's head looking green (normal), purple or blue. Amazing LOL

Lesser Spotted Woodpecker doesn't have the long white wing patch and is a very small bird, smaller than a Blackbird.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi and welcome to the forum. I think you will enjoy the site.

the warm welcome

Anyone claim to be an expert on Woodpecker plumage? I have recently snapped a feeding woodpecker with a glorious blue coat and today one with the black striped coat. Google and the various sites online have left me confused re the actual names. i.e. lesser spotted etc etc Seems both can be that. Sorry to parade my ignorance here!

Many thanks for the warm welcome from various folk - much appreciated.

It's a very interesting site which I am looking forward to browsing. As a strictly amateur 'birdy', based down in Cornwall, England I get to see quite a few wading birds, like lesser egrets, Canada Geese etc on a tidal estuary opposite, and on my feeders - nuthatches, goldfinches (in groups) woodpeckers, jays, robins, blue/great/tits, blackbirds and thrushes etc. Quite a parade at feeding times. The pecking order is very strict and fascinating to watch. All the birds defer to the squirrels.

Sorry to sound pedantic, but re my original question - Is there a blue coated woodpecker, or is the colour solely down to the light effect?

Many thanks for the warm welcome from various folk - much appreciated.

It's a very interesting site which I am looking forward to browsing. As a strictly amateur 'birdy', based down in Cornwall, England I get to see quite a few wading birds, like lesser egrets, Canada Geese etc on a tidal estuary opposite, and on my feeders - nuthatches, goldfinches (in groups) woodpeckers, jays, robins, blue/great/tits, blackbirds and thrushes etc. Quite a parade at feeding times. The pecking order is very strict and fascinating to watch. All the birds defer to the squirrels.

Sorry to sound pedantic, but re my original question - Is there a blue coated woodpecker, or is the colour solely down to the light effect?

Hi again fairwinz

Well, I know that, technically, black isn't a colour as it's made up of a number of different colours, that together look black to our eyes.

So the really simple answer to your question is no, there are no 'blue coloured' woodpeckers in this country (and I can't think of any species that are blue anywhere in the world). It's purely down to the way light plays on their feathers.

It seems you have a wonderful selection of birds visiting your garden. I never get nuthatches, woodpeckers or jays here sadly.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back