• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Jambu (Jamboo) in Jambu Fruit Dove (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

(former alias "Calalp")
Sweden
As I recently (a couple of weeks ago) had this Etymology discussion with the Swedish Taxonomy Committee [as I clearly was about to go astray on this one. Thanks Markus (Lagerqvist), for making me take the correct path, making me dig a bit deeper (y)], and now I thought I'd better share it all, also here on BirdForum, re. the topic ...

jambu as in:
• Jambu Fruit Dove (Ramphiculus) Ptilinopus jambu GMELIN 1789 (here), as "[Columba] Jambu" [a k a jambufruktduva, in Swedish, hence my interest], without an outspoken (or self-explanatory) explanation ...

The OD only includes two references, back into two non-binary names (both from 1783): "Pooni Jamboo. Marsd. Sumatr. p. 84", and "Jamboo-Pigeon. Lath. Syn. II. 2. p. 627. n. 16", which takes us to the following Work/s by: William Marsden, here, resp. by John Latham, here (who, in his turn, refer back to the same Marsden, and the very 'same' page, No. "84"), even if both Gmelin and Latham did refer to the wrong page in Marsden, who presented the Dove on page 98 (and there as "pooni-jamboo", hyphenated, and in lower case letters) [see the quote below, here altered into modern day lettering (and my blue)]:
... Of doves there are two species; which have many varieties; the one brown, called ballum, and the other green, called pooni. The pooni-jamboo is a very beautiful bird. It is smaller than the usual size of doves: the back, wings, and tail are green: the breast and crop are white, but the front of the latter has a light shade of pink: the forepart of the head is of a deep pink, resembling the blossom of the jamboo fruit, from whence it’s name: ...
This Dove/Pigeon/species was clearly named due to its resemblance, in color/colour, of the blossom of the jamboo tree [not of the fruit itself, which have been suggested, by some, elsewhere (neither was it connected to the blossom of the Guava (jambu) tree, as I initially suspected)!].

In today's Key we find the following explanation (even if there quoting the latter reference, Latham):
jambu
Sanskrit jambu rose-apple tree. Throughout south-east Asia the name jambu is applied to various fruits and plants of the genus Syzygium.
● "As subspecific name I have chosen the Malayan substantive for the guava, in allusion to this bulbul's specific and English vernacular names" (Deignan 1955) (subsp. Pycnonotus goiavier).
● Malay name Punai jambu for a fruit dove; ex “Pooni Jamboo” of Marsden 1783, and “Jamboo Pigeon” of Latham 1783: “fore part of the head a deep pink* ... *This is likened to the colour of the blossom of the Jamboo, the fruit of which is like a pear in shape” (Ramphiculus).
... which to me looks both accurate and correct.

Though, I think we might (!?), maybe, could be able to stretch it a little bit further, as the actual page 84 (here), as well [by mere chance/coincidence, or not], does give us a clue/hint onwards, in helping us to interpret the very origin of Marsden's intended etymology (i.e. into an even more exact species of tree), by the following phrases [in the quote below equally altered into modern day lettering (and my blue/bolds)]:
Jamboo mera or jamboo cling. This fruit is in shape like a pear or cone. The outer skin, which is very fine, is of a beautiful red, and the inside perfectly y white. When ripe it is delicious eating, and has more substance than the generality of India fruits. In smell it resembles the rose, and the taste partakes slightly of that flavor. There is one species of it, which is called the rose-water jamboo. Nothing can be more beautiful than the blossoms, the numerous stamina of which are of a bright pink color. The tree, which grows in a handsome, regular, conical shape, has large, deep green, and pointed leaves. Jamboo ayer, is a delicate and beautiful fruit in appearance, being a mixture of white and pink. It is smaller than the jamboo mera and not equal in its flavor, which is a faint agreeable acid. The leaf is a deep green, pointed and unequal.

[..., also note, and beware (with the risk of confusion) what's told on the next-following page (p.85):]
... The Guava or jamboo protocal, as the Malays call it, is ...

Also compare with the Second Edition of Marsden's Book, of 1784 (here), even if nothing major is/was added, in that particular Edition (at least not that I could spot).

However, in the Third, expanded Edition of the same book (of 1811, ... with Corrections, Additions, and Plates), Marsden altered the name of the/this Dove/Pigeon into "punei jambu", though still standing by the claim of its Origin, even if this time (somewhat) amended, into: " ... resembling the blossom of the jambu fruit, from whence its name; ...", (see here, and here), where we also (in this Edition on p.99, here) find the following phrases:
On the jambu (eugenia, L.) there are several species, among which the jambu merah or kling (eug. malaccensis) is the most esteemed for the table, and is also the largest. In shape it has some resemblance to the pear, but is not so taper near the stalk. The outer skin, which is very fine, is tinged with a deep and beautiful red, the inside being perfectly white. Nearly the whole substance is edible, and when properly ripe it is a delicious fruit ; but otherwise, it is spongy and indigestible. In smell, and even in taste, it partakes much of the flavour of the rose; but this quality belongs more especially to another species, called jambu ayer
mawar or the rose-water jambu. Nothing can be more beautiful than the blossoms, the long and numerous stamina of which are of a bright pink colour. The tree grows in a handsome, regular, conical shape, and has large, deep-green, pointed leaves. The jambu ayer (eugenia aquea) is a delicate and beautiful fruit in appearance, the colour being a mixture of white and pink; but in its flavour, which is a faint, agreeable acid, it does not equal the jambu merah.
... which now (suddenly), helped by the added Scientific names, ought to lead us to today's Malay Rose apple Szygium malaccense, ex Linnaeus's "Eugenia malaccensis" (see, for example/s: Wikipedia here, alt. here, here, or here).

As well, note that the other tree species, mentioned by Marsden (today's Syzygium aqueum), seems to have a far paler blossom (for example/s, see Wiki here, or here).

Thus, to me, it looks like the Jambu (Jamboo) in the Jambu Fruit Dove (Ramphiculus) Ptilinopus jambu GMELIN 1789 ought to origin in the coloration/colouration of this (pink-faced) Dove, in resemblance of/to the blossom of (today's) Szygium malaccense.

Anyone who thinks otherwise?

Or is this simply stretching it too far?

Either way, also note (even if not mentioned at all by Marsden) that there's today yet another, related tree (or 'Rose Apple') named "Syzygium jambos" (which, in its turn, has whitish, or pale yellow, flowers/blossom, see here, alt. here), which (at least in my mind) ought to exclude/disqualify it from the "pink" connection.

All in all, and as always, don't hesitate to remark on anything (whatever minor, or major) of what's written above.

Björn

PS. If the Sumatran name Jamboo/Jambu truly was/is Sanskrit, or not, is way, way off my turf. ;)

Last edited:
And, simply for completeness sake:
• the (Yellow-vented) Bulbul ssp. Pycnonotus goiavier jambu DEIGNAN 1955 (here):
As subspecific name I have chosen the Malayan substantive for the guava, in allusion to this bulbul’s specific and English vernacular name.
... which clearly is a direct reference to the Guava tree, just like in the "jamboo protocal" mentioned by Marsden above (in Post #1). If so, in this particular case, I assume, that Deignan was thinking of a (or any) "guava", in Psidium.

James, if relevant, it might be worth to mention it (the Psidium) as well, in the introductory (prefatory) phrase itself, in the Key's entry for jambu.

Or are there other kinds of Guava/s?

However, take all of the above for what it's worth (if anything at all). I just felt like posting all of it, simply as I had it fresh in mind (at least the story about the Jambu Fruit Dove).

Cheers

/B

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back