• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Still using your HR/5? (1 Viewer)

I'm another who is still using his HR/5 binoculars (a MC 826 and an 804ED) in rotation with other glasses. Even when you have too many, letting go of binoculars you really like is hard.

I'm another who is still using his HR/5 binoculars (a MC 826 and an 804ED) in rotation with other glasses. Even when you have too many, letting go of binoculars you really like is hard.

Very true. Any chance you could post a picture of your 804ED and its s/n? That one is getting quite rare.

Ed

Last edited:
Any chance you could post a picture of your 804ED and its s/n? That one is getting quite rare.

Ed

After all the help you've given me, sure thing Ed. The s/n on the 804ED is 963221. Nicolas Crista found them for me about a year ago. I actually have two Audubon 10x50 (model 826) glasses, one marked "Kestrel" with s/n 934807 and one not with s/n 930113. I don't know if their prism covers are original since I bought all three binoculars secondhand (and all three have been serviced by Nicolas). The remaining picture shows the 804ED and one of the 826s to illustrate the (pretty minimal) difference in size between the two.

Attachments

• Swift HR5 binoculars 012.jpg
    Swift HR5 binoculars 012.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 215
  • Swift HR5 binoculars 005.jpg
    Swift HR5 binoculars 005.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 310
  • Swift HR5 binoculars 007.jpg
    Swift HR5 binoculars 007.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:
Ah, great! This has already answered a number of questions. Now might I trouble you for one or more pictures that show the objective glass (no cap on) at such an angle that one can get an idea how much it's recessed behind the rubber objective ring. A comparison picture with one of the Kestrels would also help.

Many thanks,
Ed

Ah, great! This has already answered a number of questions. Now might I trouble you for one or more pictures that show the objective glass (no cap on) at such an angle that one can get an idea how much it's recessed behind the rubber objective ring. A comparison picture with one of the Kestrels would also help.

Many thanks,
Ed

I'm not sure how well these pictures show what you want to know but I cannot think of a better setup (feel free to make suggestions!). Here are some pictures of the objectives. In both cases the amount of recess is very small (too small IMHO). At the front edge of the objective both binoculars are recessed by the same amount to my eye but the Kestrel, having a fractionally larger diameter objective, may have a tiny amount less safety space in the center of the objective.

Attachments

• Swift HR5 binoculars 021.jpg
    Swift HR5 binoculars 021.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 297
  • Swift HR5 binoculars 022.jpg
    Swift HR5 binoculars 022.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 180
  • Swift HR5 binoculars 026.jpg
    Swift HR5 binoculars 026.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
I did a direct comparison between the 8.5x44 MC and my new 10x50 MC today and found that the smaller binocular produces a very slightly brighter image with a tough more colour.
The Image is quite obliviously wider in the 8.5x binocular, the extra 1.5x magnification of very little help in resolving distant detail. Both binoculars are, as you would expect sharp and fairly well corrected, but I still prefer the original 8.5 model.

I'm not sure how well these pictures show what you want to know but I cannot think of a better setup (feel free to make suggestions!). Here are some pictures of the objectives. In both cases the amount of recess is very small (too small IMHO). At the front edge of the objective both binoculars are recessed by the same amount to my eye but the Kestrel, having a fractionally larger diameter objective, may have a tiny amount less safety space in the center of the objective.

Your pictures are great. I've been waiting for such an occasion.

1. Later 804EDs had a black body, which was introduced in the mid-90s. I've never seen one in an advertisement, which led me to question Brock's assertion.
2. There were at least three cover plate markings for the model 826: Audubon, Audubon /Kestrel, and Kestrel, probably introduced in that order. Mine were made in 1998.
3. The size and spacing the the air-spaced objectives of the 804ED remained constant throughout its production. They, like the Kestrel's, bulge out almost to the limit of the cover ring. I put a soft pad on the inside of the tethered cover I got from EO.
4. The FMC coatings on my Kestrel and 804ED differ from one another, altho they are both FMC.

Do you feel that the 804ED has a small "sweet spot"? I don't, but Brock does. But then he also reported that the objective was deeply recessed in his black-body specimen, which leads me to think they had improper maintenance.

Ed

Attachments

• 826 Kestrel marking.jpg
    826 Kestrel marking.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 120
  • 804ED:826 body colors.jpg
    804ED:826 body colors.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 149
  • 804ED:826 Objectives.jpg
    804ED:826 Objectives.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 131
  • 804ED:826 eyepieces.jpg
    804ED:826 eyepieces.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 277
I did a direct comparison between the 8.5x44 MC and my new 10x50 MC today and found that the smaller binocular produces a very slightly brighter image with a tough more colour.
The Image is quite obliviously wider in the 8.5x binocular, the extra 1.5x magnification of very little help in resolving distant detail. Both binoculars are, as you would expect sharp and fairly well corrected, but I still prefer the original 8.5 model.

I suspect that not all MC was the same, just like not all FMC was the same. Do photos of the objectives/eyepieces show color differences?

Ed

In spite of the shallow recessing of the objectives, I find that my 804 FMC (99xxxx) is still quite good at controlling stray light when looking in the general direction of the sun. There is some low veiling glare but it is not obtrusive.

Bob

Bob,

Lucky you, a 99xxxx 804ED specimen. Which of the two eyepieces does its coating resemble in my last photo on post #27? In other words, are they predominantly green in appearance?

I agree with you about the 804/804ED having good glare control.

Ed

Bob,

Lucky you, a 99xxxx 804ED specimen. Which of the two eyepieces does its coating resemble in my last photo on post #27? In other words, are they predominantly green in appearance?

I agree with you about the 804/804ED having good glare control.

Ed

Ed,

It isn't an ED. I wish it was! It is a garden variety 804 (HR/5 Fully Multi Coated) but it does have nice, rather darkish green coatings with magenta undertone on the objectives and the oculars appear to be same greenish color as those on the 10 x 50 Kestrel. The cone shaped washer assembly showing the IPD scale at the end of the hinge also appears to be identical to the one on the Kestrel.

Don't know if that helps.

Bob

Last edited:
Well, it just means you still have something to look forward to. ;) Also, if you use eyeglasses the standard has slightly longer eye relief.

My Kestrel is dated 1998, just one year before your standard 804. I'm willing to go out on a limb and conclude that they both used the same coatings.

Ed

Last edited:
still using HR/5

Thought I would chime in, I purchased a HR/5 FMC pair about 2 years ago, sn 987720.
Very enjoyable to use, you can't beat a good Porro.
Phil

Attachments

• Audubon HR5 FMC.jpg
    Audubon HR5 FMC.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 174
Hi Phil,

Wow! You got one of the last HR/5 Audubon's, which were discontinued after 1999. Yes, it's particularly hard to beat a wide-angle porro, much less one with superb optics.

Did you buy yours new or used?

Ed

Hi Phil,

Wow! You got one of the last HR/5 Audubon's, which were discontinued after 1999. Yes, it's particularly hard to beat a wide-angle porro, much less one with superb optics.

Did you buy yours new or used?

Ed

Hi Ed,
Yes, I bought these used, they appear to have been well taken care of, or used very little. Next to my William Optics 22x70 ED, the Swifts are my best bino.
Phil

Brock,

I came to the conclusion some time ago that there were either several variants of MC, or that some FMCs were given older MC cover plates. Mine, I think, was one of the latter. It is without question quite different from the 804R, which is MC. The Pyser version of the 804 HR/5 also appeared in the UK several years before the US introduction of the 804R in 1985, which confuses matters considerably, but I think the coatings were the same as the 804R. I can't unscramble the egg.

All,

Renze has questioned the underlined statement in my post #12 about small body models appearing before 1985. He is absolutely correct! It should have read:

"The Pyser version of the 804 HR/5 also appeared in the UK several years before the US introduction of a model with an HR/5 label, which confuses matters considerably. Catalogs and other data suggest that the original Pyser HR/5 and Swift 804R were both introduced in 1985, differing only in their trim colors and markings."

Ed

Hi Ed,
Yes, I bought these used, they appear to have been well taken care of, or used very little. Next to my William Optics 22x70 ED, the Swifts are my best bino.
Phil

It's a remarkable optic! Make sure the next person gets them well used. ;)

Ed

Hi, Ricky-
Fancy meeting you here, Mate!! Hey, I never did hear any feedback as to how you liked your ED's! Be happy to take any of those 3 Swift's off yer' hands when ye' tire of 'em!
I have a pair of HR-5's that the Rev. Mr. Brock graciously bestowed on me for a paltry pittance... they are amongst my favorite bino's. Always will be!
Wes

I used the old HR5's in my boot last week, still clear to look through but have a tiny chip on the objective.
They give a fantastic view when watching Owls flying 1/4 mile away with a wide FOV and sweet spot and good depth of view to boot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back