• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which Audubon porro to look out for...? (1 Viewer)

Ribbon

So I'm looking for an Audubon porro. Apart from liking the design (and out of curiosity) the main reason is sentimental. My very first bins were a Swift 7×50, not really sure which one exactly but definitely no Audubon. For birding outdoors I use my beloved SF 8x32, but this one is going to stay indoors for birding around the house, ready to grab when somethings in my garden...

Anyway, I read the historical article on this subforum and went to orientate on national and international websites offering second hand Audubons.

Is it worthwile to wait for the right HR/5 to surface, or are there also other (sub)types to look out for? I'm wearing glasses so eye relief is somewhat important. I'm no binoculair expert, so sharing info or experience will be appreciated. Cheers.

An HR would be my choice, as you mention, but you will be paying a premium nowadays. Used to love looking through them when they were traded in for a modern roof prism......cannot remember exactly which model 8•5 × 44 was the one that stood out.

Hi,
Looking on line I came across this eBay auction: 285588162976, which originates in England and should ship easily to your country.
This is the Fully Multi-Coated (FMC) version of the HR/5. Assuming it's properly collimated, it looks to be a bargain, so you might want to go for it before someone else takes it off the market.
Ed

Last edited:
There's a pair on the sales thread USA based in what looks superb condition $250 but the gold stripes are a top notch spec.

Hello Pat,
If you are looking at Auction 285588162976, then I will have to respectfully disagree. The gold stripe model is a Swift Pyser issue from 1982 and is not multi-coated. The one I recommended is the from the late 1990s and is fully multi-coated. It also costs less. Frankly, if I were collecting these any more I'd buy it myself. Ed

Last edited:
The one I mentioned in dollars is on sale here at BF in classifieds, not ebay. Are you now retracting the advice on your post #3 re the auction listing ? I'm somewhat confused Ed, but it is bedtime over here.

?? Oh, no. My recommendation on Post #3 remains in force. So sorry to push you past your bedtime.
Ed

Thank you both.

Still a bit confused though...;)

@elkcub
Auction 285588162976 you're refering to is the (also lovely) 1982 Gold Band and not the FMC version from the late nineties. I'm curious which auction concerns the other one you mentioned, but I reckon it's 335121283361 from the US...

If you need to wear glasses while using binoculars, all the Audubons except maybe the 820 are going to be pretty tight or outright impossible. But if you can live with having to remove your glasses before using the binocular (which may be OK in garden/bird feeder situations) any Audubon is going to be perfectly fine at those distances. You just have to be careful of issues that can develop with older models (internal haze, fungus etc).

I get the impression the HR/5 models are the most desired, but the Type 1 large body with the extra wide field of view is worth considering, if you can find one. They're absolutely rock solid in terms of construction, with excellent workmanship, and field of view is very generous even by modern standards (except that you can't access it while wearing glasses). The tube focuser is not as easy to use as the more conventional focus wheel, but if you have it pre-focused at a feeder etc it's not too bad.

Thank you both.

Still a bit confused though...;)

@elkcub
Auction 285588162976 you're refering to is the (also lovely) 1982 Gold Band and not the FMC version from the late nineties. I'm curious which auction concerns the other one you mentioned, but I reckon it's 335121283361 from the US...
Ribbon,
I'm confused as well. Please search for "Swift Audubon Binoculars" on eBay. Auction #256331299097 is

Swift Binoculars #804 Audubon 8.5 X 44 Made In Japan Extra Wide Field Excellent​

selling for $172.00. Somehow the auction number I posted in #3 was wrong.

Anyway, the s/n shows it was made in 1998, which is the most recent version of the 804 Audubon.

Very sorry,
Ed
s-l1600.jpg

If you need to wear glasses while using binoculars, all the Audubons except maybe the 820 are going to be pretty tight or outright impossible. But if you can live with having to remove your glasses before using the binocular (which may be OK in garden/bird feeder situations) any Audubon is going to be perfectly fine at those distances. You just have to be careful of issues that can develop with older models (internal haze, fungus etc).

I get the impression the HR/5 models are the most desired, but the Type 1 large body with the extra wide field of view is worth considering, if you can find one. They're absolutely rock solid in terms of construction, with excellent workmanship, and field of view is very generous even by modern standards (except that you can't access it while wearing glasses). The tube focuser is not as easy to use as the more conventional focus wheel, but if you have it pre-focused at a feeder etc it's not too bad.
Thanks a bunch for this. It made me reconsider since I don't like removing my glasses before using my bins.
Testing one before purchase would be great. I read different experiences regarding ER and glasses with the Audubons. Maybe it will be acceptable for me, but taking a chance without being able te return the bins is not something I feel comfortable with at the moment...

Regardless of what I wrote above, the Audubons keep on attracting me. Maybe it's the same thing as with 'oldtimer' cars; of course technical progression goes on, but there's still this undeniable sense of sentimentality and admiration of past time aesthetics.

Therefore I'll try my luck on a 820 (non ED/HD) for a reasonable price on a Dutch marketplace. Although I don't find the 820 design as appealing as the 804's, I still hope it will be good enough for on the kitchen table.

So it arrived last week...

I read a lot about Swift Audubons on this forum; about the 804's, ED and non ED 820's, the eyecups and a bunch of other stuff. Also a lot of different opinions...

Regarding the eyecups I was sceptical after reading some less positive things about them, but when keeping the cups 'all the way down' I have no problem with it. When using them without glasses the diopter ring starts moving when turning the cups up, but I (luckily) won't be using them that way.

When using it the first time in the garden I was positively surprised about the FOV, the sharp image in the centre and the amount of light. The relatively stiff focus wheel is something to get used to I guess. For me personally the feel and ergonomics of the body are very nice. Did not expect to be so enthousiastic about a porro glass after years of 'roof usage'. I paid €150 for it and my first impression is that I could've done worse for that amount of money

When the package arrived I found the original receit and discovered that it was bought in a shop called Wild Bird Center at Chapel Hill, NC in 2010 for $322. So it somehow found it's way to my Dutch kitchen. :)

One thing I could not find on this forum is how to know which year it was manufactured. For 804's the first two digits of the serial number corresponds with the year, but is there any way to know this for 'post 804 era' Swifts?

Attachments

• 20240221_190932.jpg
    20240221_190932.jpg
    413 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240221_191015.jpg
    20240221_191015.jpg
    541.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 20240221_191047.jpg
    20240221_191047.jpg
    462.8 KB · Views: 8

Users who are viewing this thread

Back