• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Backyard Birding Surprise (1 Viewer)

myonlyphoto

Canada
Today, I was not able to go birding, but I was very fortunate to see something cool. So I am sitting on the Muskoka chair and eating breakfast outside, I looked up and I see this bird going head on towards me. First I thought that it was a Rock Pigeon, but then the flight pattern was different. As it flies towards me and got close it finally hit me that was either an osprey or one of the hawks, and he was holding something in his claws. He flew over my head, just about 3 feet, and it was so smooth. So I get excited and called my husband to tell him the story....

So now we both standing and talking about it, we looked up and there is this Great Blue Heron flying over, unusually low, just cleared the house.

This is just within 5 minutes - two big birds just like that...must say it was fun morning. And where was my camera in moment like that - I guess I will have to remember it.

Thank you for reading.

Anna :)

Very nice morning you had, Anna. Seems you don't need to leave the house to get the good uns.

sounds nice! Herons tend to fly low over neighborhoods for some reason, and they are amazing when they do! was it a fish in the raptors claws or a rodent/bird/other? or could you even tell? 8P

sounds nice! Herons tend to fly low over neighborhoods for some reason, and they are amazing when they do! was it a fish in the raptors claws or a rodent/bird/other? or could you even tell? 8P

Hi David, now that I think about the heron may be it was a white egret because unusally white underneath, and next day when we went biking we saw two white egrets hanging around along with seven blue herons. The most herons I ever saw. We don't have white egrets in our local marsh, so I am thinking may be its only pit stop for them. It would be nice if we had those here. I think that's what happened with cormorants, we never had them, just the last two years, and there are about 12-20 of them - keep coming back

It is hard to say what was in the raptor's claws. I don't think it was a fish, I probably would recognize it, so probably rodent or don't want to think about it it, could have been other small bird. What was unusual, about two house sparrows were following him making lot of noise.

It was definitely nice morning...

Anna :)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back