• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Jeff's birding database (1 Viewer)

Hi Jeff

As you know I have been using it for ages and thoroughly recommend it to anyone. It is certainly a versatile program and covers all my needs.

I'm also currently running Access 2002 and Database v3.2

John

Jeff,

Took a peak at your database and did a download yesterday, had a couple of trojan horse virus in the download! No problem, all cleaned and vaulted, but thought you might like to know.
The database looks good and user friendly. I will have to enter my spanish species i.e. Black Wheatear manually and also my Moroccan species, but otherwise all looks very easy. I will get round to loading picture and sound files later, so hope to give some feedback as a first-time user.

Black Wheatear said:
Jeff,

Took a peak at your database and did a download yesterday, had a couple of trojan horse virus in the download! No problem, all cleaned and vaulted, but thought you might like to know.
The database looks good and user friendly. I will have to enter my spanish species i.e. Black Wheatear manually and also my Moroccan species, but otherwise all looks very easy. I will get round to loading picture and sound files later, so hope to give some feedback as a first-time user.

Which version did you download that contained trojan viruses and what trojans were reported? What virus scanner are you using?

Downloaded all three versions and re-scanner using Kaspersky, all come back clean:

Scanned file: jbd-02.zip

jbd-02.zip/jbd.exe/script - OK
jbd-02.zip/jbd.exe/uninstaller - OK
jbd-02.zip/jbd.exe/registry - OK
jbd-02.zip/jbd.exe/Uninstal.exe - OK
jbd-02.zip/jbd.exe/jbd.ico - OK
jbd-02.zip/jbd.exe/jbd.mde - OK
jbd-02.zip/jbd.exe/jbddata.mde - OK
jbd-02.zip/jbd.exe - OK
jbd-02.zip/jbd.exe - OK

Statistics:
Known viruses: 273440 Updated: 26-02-2007
File size (Kb): 424 Virus bodies: 0
Files: 9 Warnings: 0
Archives: 2
Suspicious: 0

Scanned file: jbd-00.zip

jbd-00.zip/jbd00-3.2.exe/script - OK
jbd-00.zip/jbd00-3.2.exe/uninstaller - OK
jbd-00.zip/jbd00-3.2.exe/registry - OK
jbd-00.zip/jbd00-3.2.exe/Uninstal.exe - OK
jbd-00.zip/jbd00-3.2.exe/jbd.ico - OK
jbd-00.zip/jbd00-3.2.exe/jbd.mde - OK
jbd-00.zip/jbd00-3.2.exe/jbddata.mde - OK
jbd-00.zip/jbd00-3.2.exe - OK
jbd-00.zip/jbd00-3.2.exe - OK

Statistics:
File size (Kb): 429 Virus bodies: 0

Scanned file: jbd-97.zip

jbd-97.zip/jbd.exe/script - OK
jbd-97.zip/jbd.exe/uninstaller - OK
jbd-97.zip/jbd.exe/registry - OK
jbd-97.zip/jbd.exe/Uninstal.exe - OK
jbd-97.zip/jbd.exe/jbd.ico - OK
jbd-97.zip/jbd.exe/jbd.mde - OK
jbd-97.zip/jbd.exe/jbddata.mde - OK
jbd-97.zip/jbd.exe - OK
jbd-97.zip/jbd.exe - OK

Statistics:
File size (Kb): 718 Virus bodies: 0

I downloaded and installed it for a friend over the weekend. Scanned with AVG with no problems.

Where did you get it from Peter?
Could it just have been a warning that it contained an exe file?

Hi Jeff and Rozinante,

Could well be Rozinante. I use AVG and now when I look at the report it gives Trojan horse Dropper .Agent.BMH the location was twofold one in spsetup[1].exe also in Setup.exe

Jeff, the version I downloaded was 3.2 and I run access 2003. As I have mentioned, the AVG healed and vaulted the problem.

Hi Jeff,

Great database. I have been using it with Access 2000. I recently upgraded to Access 2007. When I open it in 2007 the text flashes on and off. I have tried to save as a 2007 version but it won't let me. Any ideas how this can be solved?

Thanks

Dave

Yep, it's a little bit of code that runs at startup, i'll update it soon (next week or so). I noticed it with the Beta 007 version, but can't find the modified version. I have 007 on order, so once it arrives i'll test it again.

Sorry that wasn't the one, but if you want to try this one feel free, again not tested (yet!)

Edit: Nope still not right, i'll have to wait for Access 2007 to arrive. It'll take a couple of minutes to fix once i can see the problem.

Last edited:
Tested or not Jeff it works fine for me thanks a lot,I have been using your database for about 2 years now I think, and I find it absolutley great.

Jeff, I am now using version 4.0 with Office XP and it's working fine,just wondered when you think it will be tested?

Bob,

Sorry, it prob. wasn't too clear what i was doing.

There was an issue in Access 2007 and version 3.2 of the database (flashing names and stuff), so all i did was remove some code from one of the screens to stop this happening.

The version v.4 one i posted out, i thought corrected this (it did in the beta version of 2007 but not the full release), so it's really no different from v.3.2 so should be ok.

The v.3.3 is a quick fix for Access 2007 only, if your running 2000/02/03 you don't need it.

I am working on a real v.4, not too sure how long before it's ready, some parts already done, but i'm deciding which way to go and i'm not very good at making decisions ;)

Thanks Jeff,
I really do like using your database,I have been able to log every bird since I arrived here 2 years ago and it really helps with migration arrival dates,nesting sites etc.

OK, here are the updates i am about to do and test on Access 2000>

Location: Allow duplicate name, different county (alter primary key index)
BTO Codes: Add 2 and 5 letter codes to database (if updated list available, if not old '2000' 2 code list imported in)
Choice of Scientific/English names on reports
Update list to WP (need to work out how best to import previous databases, list already done, for those who haven't added any new species to the database it will be nice and easy ;) )
Input screen: Set sort A-Z as default.
Anything else i spot as i go along.

The Access 97 version, as you've probably already guessed will never be updated beyond v3.0

Sorry, have i missed anything?

Most of the above is almost done, just need to test on the various versions of Access.

Still work in progress, i have a couple of options ;)

Hi Jeff

Like Keith I have added quite a few species to my list as well. Would I be able to use your latest upgrade without affecting what I already have on my lists?

John

Hi Jeff

Like Keith I have added quite a few species to my list as well. Would I be able to use your latest upgrade without affecting what I already have on my lists?

John

That's one of the options, probably need a few backend tweaks like 3.0 - 3.2 upgrade.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back