• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kazakhstan bird guide / driver-guide (2 Viewers)

Benedict Macdonald

England
Hi there,

I am planning on visiting Western Palearctic Kazakhstan (Uralsk south to Atyrau) in June 2024. The guide recommended to me is sadly now trapped in Russia so I wondered if anyone could recommend any good driver/guides for Kazakhstan. I know most of the sites, so it's most about access, pitching tents, knowing the roads etc, although of course anyone with local knowledge of species (caspian plover for example can be tricky) is obviously preferable.

With many thanks

Ben

Hi there, did you ever find anyone? I am hoping to go to Korgalzhyn in early May and need a guide. Thanks for any information that you might have discovered.

Hi there,

I am planning on visiting Western Palearctic Kazakhstan (Uralsk south to Atyrau) in June 2024. The guide recommended to me is sadly now trapped in Russia so I wondered if anyone could recommend any good driver/guides for Kazakhstan. I know most of the sites, so it's most about access, pitching tents, knowing the roads etc, although of course anyone with local knowledge of species (caspian plover for example can be tricky) is obviously preferable.

With many thanks

Ben
Hi Benedict, I don't really frequent this forum much, but someone mentioned your post to me just now. I am flying to Atyrau next weekend for a couple of week long road trip with a friend who is driving down from Ryazan (Russia). We have had little success finding much information about good places for the bird specialties of this part of Kazakhstan (most people obviously go much further east, although I guess for WP listers the area north and west of Atyrau may be a popular destination?). To be honest I did not have time for much research, leaving it mostly to my Russian friend, so perhaps we missed stuff. Anyway, we are mostly going to be heading south of Atyrau, provisionally down to Ustyurt and maybe beyond, but I would like to have a quick look for Black Larks and White-winged Larks further to the north, time allowing, and maybe Caspian Plover too, if these are around. You seem to suggest you have some knowledge of interesting sites in that area (ie N/W of Atyrau, in WP I suppose). Would love to hear about these if you are able and willing, just in case we end up spending more time to the north.

We will be self-guided, but would be happy to share whatever we discover of interest on my return.

Thanks!

Peter

Hi Benedict, I don't really frequent this forum much, but someone mentioned your post to me just now. I am flying to Atyrau next weekend for a couple of week long road trip with a friend who is driving down from Ryazan (Russia). We have had little success finding much information about good places for the bird specialties of this part of Kazakhstan (most people obviously go much further east, although I guess for WP listers the area north and west of Atyrau may be a popular destination?). To be honest I did not have time for much research, leaving it mostly to my Russian friend, so perhaps we missed stuff. Anyway, we are mostly going to be heading south of Atyrau, provisionally down to Ustyurt and maybe beyond, but I would like to have a quick look for Black Larks and White-winged Larks further to the north, time allowing, and maybe Caspian Plover too, if these are around. You seem to suggest you have some knowledge of interesting sites in that area (ie N/W of Atyrau, in WP I suppose). Would love to hear about these if you are able and willing, just in case we end up spending more time to the north.

We will be self-guided, but would be happy to share whatever we discover of interest on my return.

Thanks!

Peter
Trip cancelled - whole area is a flood disaster zone now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back