• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lycian Coast. Turkey. January (1 Viewer)

testoduro

I´ve just arrived from a wonderful trekking holiday in that region of Turkey.
I took some shots of birds there and I would greatly appreciate to have some of my identification attempts confirmed/refuted.

Thanks in advance

Turquía azor.jpg

1-Turquía calandrias.jpg

Turquía halcón.jpg

1.Goshawk.
2.Calandra lark.
3. Peregrine.

1. sparrowhawk
2. five corn buntings and a chaffinch
3. looks a bit like a goshawk on sillhouette but tail is very square cut off so might be another sparrowhawk (definitely not a peregrine)

Last edited:
1. sparrowhawk
2. five corn buntings and a chaffinch
3. looks a bit like a goshawk on sillhouette but tail is very square cut off so might be another sparrowhawk (definitely not a peregrine)

I totally disagree, I am counting 7 Corn Buntings and a Chaffinch 3:) (and 2 Sparrowhawks)

I'm struggling to see why #1 isn't a Goshawk...

'cause of the contrastingly barred remiges.

Just out of interest? Any further breakdown as to why it is a Sparrowhawk? Not that I'm new to either species. But it might help others who may have problems with ID between the 2 species. Contrasting remiges is one factor in this image. It's a fuzzy record shot seeming to show a thick-set, wide-hipped, shortish-tailed accipiter (with apparent rounding to the retrices.) A silvery sheen to the breast, and a hefty looking head, and Gos-like dark hood/white flash above eye. Trailing edge of secondaries also slightly convexing. It's a record shot, but, on first impressions, I see why Steve called it Gos.

Not passing any judgement on ID, but would be interested if Lou gave a better breakdown for others who may be struggling with this species pair. Based on the photo. It might help! Thanx! :t:

i'd like to emphasize that boldly barred remiges are an exclusion criteria for adult goshawk.
front view sprawks often give a broad hipped impression. tail is not rounded, just the outer feather's corners seem to be so, tail is not closed completely as the bird is making a turn. then you have the arm-hand-ratio: longer arm in goshawk and secondaries much more bulging than here. the lattern two need some experience (in judging the ratio) and pics of accipiters are notoriously deceiving.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back