• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Small peep help please, Courtney, British Columbia, Canada, Aug 13, 2023 (2 Viewers)

bhutjoe

Hello, assistance sought on the correct identification of these small peeps seen on the Courtney River estuary, Courtney, Vancouver Island, British Columbia at about 4 pm on August 13, 2023.
I have titled the photos by which birds I think they are photos of, though in 2 cases I have no real idea. The least sandpiper is due to the yellow legs, the western due to the slightly curved bill and larger size. The sanderling because of its plumage.
The habitat was a small spit of land at the mouth of the Courtney River, in Courtney, British Columbia (which is about 1/3 of the way up the east coast of Vancouver Island), at high tide.
All comments, corrections, identification and criticism most welcome and appreciated.
thank you in advance
steve

Attachments

• Least and sanderling.jpg
    Least and sanderling.jpg
    642.1 KB · Views: 56
  • Least sandpiper.jpg
    Least sandpiper.jpg
    941.4 KB · Views: 52
  • Least sandpiper 2.jpg
    Least sandpiper 2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 47
  • unknown 2.jpg
    unknown 2.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 47
  • unknown.jpg
    unknown.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 50
  • least, western and ?.jpg
    least, western and ?.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 44
  • least 3.jpg
    least 3.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 43
  • 2 western.jpg
    2 western.jpg
    513.8 KB · Views: 57
Thank you Butty, especially for correcting the sanderling:) Semipalmated would make that a lifer so that is a most welcome correction.
much appreciated.
By the way, any suggestions on the unknown 2 photos?
thanks again
steve

Ah, point taken. I read your comment too quickly:) My bad. I will just have to spend some time going over semipalmated again and my photos and see if I can convince myself or not:)
I missed the leg colour on the one unknown. Thank you for your always keen eye.
steve

The “Sanderling” is either a short billed Western or long billed Semipalmated which without better shots of the bill should be best left at genus level. Juveniles like this bird can be very difficult to identify to species, Western is far more likely however. Unknown 1 is another Least Sandpiper
The ? In Least, Western and ? Is another Least Sandpiper
In 2 Western the left bird is a Least Sandpiper

First bird is not a Sanderling (I first thought Semi, but didn't consider location). I don't think the left bird in the last photo is Western, the right bird could be, but not sure it's possible to confirm. Otherwise the ID's seem good.

Thank you Michael and Qwerty5 for your responses. I have attached the only other photo of what i mistakenly thought was a sanderling (hence my erroneous heading in red) and which is why I did not post it with the others. Not sure if the bill is clear enough in this photo but hopefully.:)
Again thank you, much appreciated.
steve

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_1a29.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1a29.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 27
A pretty tough bird, but looks like a Western Sandpiper to me. Keep in mind the number of Semipalmated Sandpipers I've seen is 0 so take my ids with a grain of salt. Ideally, I'd like to see a sharper photo in better light to be completely comfortable in taking this bird to species level, there's nothing wrong with leaving a bird at spuh.

The upper two rows of scapulars are contrastingly colored, darker and with more rufous than the rest. I think that means it's Western.

The upper two rows of scapulars are contrastingly colored, darker and with more rufous than the rest. I think that means it's Western.
Some Semipalmated sandpipers can show this as well however I agree that the combination of different features makes this a Western Sandpiper

Thank you Michael and Qwerty5 again for spending the time on this. Now hopefully I can put all of your constructive tips to good use in the future:)
much appreciated
steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back