• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

London birding (1 Viewer)

dennis

Have binoculars. Will travel.
Hello All,

Just returned from a 3 day visit to London. This was our first trip to Europe so I managed quite a few life birds. Without leaving the London area I saw 50 species, of which 32 were new to me.

By far the best birding site was the Barnes Wetlands Centre in southwest London. I would think any birder visiting should try to spend a few hours there.

Another comment about our trip.....the Brits I met were great to this out-of-towner. They were extemely friendly and helpful in putting me onto new species. I believe they had as much fun getting me a "lifer" as I did.

Dennis Miller
Bethlehem,Pa. USA

Glad our fellow Brits obliged accordingly. Glad you enjoyed your trip. Are you going to list the birds you saw.

That's a very good count for a 3 day trip to London, Dennis. Glad you found the birders hospitable, I think birders are the same across the whole world.... always eager to share their own birds with visitors and to see a relatively mundane bird make someone's day.
How about a list of the birds you saw?
Regards,
Andy

Three days is just not enough for London, Dennis. I hope you get to go back.

Unfortunately, I was not 'into' birding when I visited there in 1987 and 1988 -- was far too busy sightseeing -- and meeting some nice Brits!

Being in Bethlehem (which I've visited many times, for family), do you ever get to Hawk Mountain or Bake Oven Knob? Or over to the Raptor Trust in Millington, NJ? And I hear the Delaware Watergap NRA is terrific for birding. Gee, this is making me long for a visit!

Hope you'll post your list!

Hi All,

Here it is, by popular demand....my 3 day list from London(Jan. 18-20). * - life bird

Great Crested Grebe*
Little Grebe*
Great Cormorant
Grey Heron*
Mute Swan
Greylag Goose*
White-fronted Goose
Canada Goose
Mallard
Gadwall
Eurasian Wigeon
Shoveler
Green-winged Teal
Common Pochard*
Tufted Duck
Goldeneye
Eurasian Kestrel*
Common Moorhen
Eurasian Coot*
Northern Lapwing
Common Snipe*(this is now seperate from the Wilson's Snipe)
Black-headed Gull*
Mew Gull*(this was formerly called Common Gull)
Yellow-legged Gull*(a great find!)
Herring Gull
Rock Dove
Stock Dove*
Wood Pigeon*
Common Kingfisher*
Green Woodpecker*
White Wagtail*
Robin*
Eurasian Blackbird*
Redwing*
Song Thrush*
Mistle Thrush*
Long-tailed Tit*
Blue Tit*
Great Tit*
Coal Tit*
Eurasian Jay*
Eurasian Magpie*(now split from Black-billed Magpie)
Carrion Crow*
Starling
House Sparrow
Chaffinch*
European Goldfinch
Greenfinch*
Eurasian Siskin*
Reed Bunting*

To Beverly....I visit Hawk Mountain and the surrounding ridges often. It's great having such a world-class migratory flyway at your doorstep!

DENNIS

What a great list, Dennis!

I have visited Hawk Mountain, but haven't yt made it to the summit to actually do any birding (long story). The idea of trip out there in October gets tossed around regularly here among a group of friends.

Are you aware of the HMANA email thing? BIRDHAWK? Where watches from all over (mostly the eastern US) post daily reports during migration of the numbers and species seen? It can be fascinating! It even gets reports occasionally from South America and Veracruz -- the numbers from there are mind-boggling!!

congrats on all of the lifebirds Dennis! that's quite a list, glad to hear you had a good trip.
(And as a side note.. several friends and I are planning a trip to PA for this October- I'm reading Beverly's comments with great interest as this will be my first trip to that area & I'm excited about finally having the opportunity to visit Hawk Mtn. I'll make a note to contact you both before then :)

Dennis

I'm glad you had such a good time. You've discovered one of London's best kept secrets - its birds! It's amazing how much there is around if you look for it, and as you say Barnes is superb.

Next time you're here, we must meet up.

Was your 'Green-winged Teal' a transatlantic vagrant (Anas carolinensis, which is very rare here) or actually a Eurasian Teal (Anas crecca, which is common)? Might be another lifer there for you! If you saw more than one, then you've almost certainly got Eurasian Teal.

London Birder said:
Wetland Centre probably has captive Green-wings, we haven't had a wild one in about 3 years in London
Had a wild one the other night dear boy,thought i was back in the jungle didn't get a wink,i think Henry forgot my cocoa.

"Steward not a amontillado please,just top up the cognac there's a good chap"after last night little jaunt need to build the strength up.

POP

London Birder said:
Wetland Centre probably has captive Green-wings, we haven't had a wild one in about 3 years in London

Don't think they have captive Green-wings. The collection is quite minimalist compared to Slimbridge.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back