• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What was your best birding trip? (1 Viewer)

I have to echo John Cantelo & for basically the same reasons - 2 weeks in Japan second half of February 2020.
My trip was also in February 2020 so our paths could have crossed (and may have done so if you were traveling with Naturetrek). I went on a tour led by my old friend, Mark Finn, who's been running winter tours to Japan for years. Although we dipped several species we 'should' have seen, we smashed his previous record for a winter trip as we got several hard-to-see species. Our ferry trip to Hokkaido was spectacular, by far Mark's best with hundreds of Laysan and a handful each of Short-tailed & Black-footed Albatross plus Fork-tailed Storm Petrel (a lifer even for Mark).

My trip was also in February 2020 so our paths could have crossed (and may have done so if you were traveling with Naturetrek). I went on a tour led by my old friend, Mark Finn, who's been running winter tours to Japan for years. Although we dipped several species we 'should' have seen, we smashed his previous record for a winter trip as we got several hard-to-see species. Our ferry trip to Hokkaido was spectacular, by far Mark's best with hundreds of Laysan and a handful each of Short-tailed & Black-footed Albatross plus Fork-tailed Storm Petrel (a lifer even for Mark).

I was travelling alone and seem to remember from our 'conversations' on my trip report thread that we didn't meet but were around the Kiritapu / Notsuke area at the same time.

We are lucky enough to have traveled quite widely including Colombia (including Santa Marta) you will love it.
Our best trip is probably a week in Queensland Australia (some great birds) and then 3 weeks in Papua New Guinea - arrangements were made for us but we were travelling ourselves and picking up local guides, required as most land can only be accessed with permission, some great endemic birds and 19 different Birds of Paradise superb birding and culture everywhere but at times a bit hairy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back