• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Goldfinches (1 Viewer)

RedKite_4

Hello everyone!

I have a feeding station with 4 feeders hanging up - 1 peanut, 2 for fat balls and one mixed seed. In the area I live we just get sparrows and swarms (!) of starlings visiting the station.

I have seen Goldfinches landing on our fences etc which I would love to attract and feed. I know they like Niger/Nyger seeds but would it be worth getting a Nyger feeder to put on the feeding station or is it likely that the noisy starlings would put the Goldfinches off from feeding? I have never fed Goldfinches before.

If there was somewhere else I could hang a separate Nyger feeder, I would, but sadly there isn't really anywhere.

Any advice would be much appreciated! :t:

Many thanks,
Sophie

In someplaces goldfinches like nyger seeds while in others sunflower hearts are preferred. Our goldfinches fall in to the latter category.

However, it seems they like cover and natural perches as staging points.

I saw a goldfinch on our wall, first I'd ever seen in the wild, so I went out and bought a nyjer seed feeder. I filled that one with nyjer and a normal seed feeder I put a load of sunflower hearts mixed with the standard seeds.
Within 2 days we had 3 goldfinch coming each morning.
They seemed to just fit in around when the pigeons and blackbirds come.

Peloquin,

If you can keep them healthy through the next winter, next breedind season you may get a few more and, after that numbers can seem to increase exponentially - so start saving for bird seed now!

Cheers Wanderer..lovely bird aren't they.
The finches are by far my favorites. I was so chuffed when a pair of Bullfinch turned up. They were at the feeders every hour, obviously feeding hard before young fledged then they simply vanished. I saw 3 young a few times, they went down to 2 then vanished. I'm hoping constant food supply will draw them back in next breeding season.

Hello everyone!

I have a feeding station with 4 feeders hanging up - 1 peanut, 2 for fat balls and one mixed seed. In the area I live we just get sparrows and swarms (!) of starlings visiting the station.

I have seen Goldfinches landing on our fences etc which I would love to attract and feed. I know they like Niger/Nyger seeds but would it be worth getting a Nyger feeder to put on the feeding station or is it likely that the noisy starlings would put the Goldfinches off from feeding? I have never fed Goldfinches before.

If there was somewhere else I could hang a separate Nyger feeder, I would, but sadly there isn't really anywhere.

Any advice would be much appreciated! :t:

Many thanks,
Sophie

My goldfinch love the sunflower hearts and/or niger seed

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back