• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Home made fat balls are too soft - any recommendation for how to fix? (2 Viewers)

OScotty

United Kingdom
Hello!

Yesterday I made some fat & seed balls for the birds (it started snowing yesterday so I figured a bit of extra food might not go amiss).
I used a mixture of animal fats that had been leftover from cooking, that I've kept stored until there was enough to make a few balls - think 1/2 a standard plastic takeaway container. I melted the fat gently in a pan, and then added loads of mixed bird seed and a few handfuls of peanuts.
I put them in cupcake wrappers with twine going through whilst still warm, and left overnight to cool/ harden. However, this morning they're still a bit soft and crumbly, despite it being extremely cold. If I hang them up, I worry the balls will fall apart and become rat food.

Are they fixable? If anyone has any recommendations (more seeds? adding oats?) I'd love to hear them!
Thank you!

Welcome to Birdforum. I hope you enjoy your visits.

I'm not sure how to fix your problem, but could you place the balls on a bird table instead of hanging them up?

Different fats have different melting points - If making my own fat balls I use fat from the stock left over from cooking lamb, which always stays reasonably firm. Put leftover stock in a jar and the fat settles to quite a pure white solid layer at the top. I sometimes mix it with solid vegetable cooking fat (the stuff that is sold as a pure white solid block).

You can also ask a butcher for lamb suet, they often give it to me for free

You will never be able to avoid some spillage onto the ground below the feeders. In my case there is never a shortage of ground feeding birds to mop up the leftovers though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back