• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon V1 to V2? (1 Viewer)

Sandpiper

Mike Powell
Now that the V2 has been on the market for a while, I wonder if anyone who previously used a V1 for digiscoping has upgraded to a V2. If so, I would be interested to hear opinions on whether it was a worthwhile upgrade as regards ease of use and image quality.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

I notice that over 700 people have viewed my question above. Surely someone must have upgraded and can offer an opinion?

Mike

I notice that over 700 people have viewed my question above. Surely someone must have upgraded and can offer an opinion?

Mike

Ok Mike, I guess I'll jump in with comments.
I haven't done much digiscoping with the V2 as I got the 80-400/AFS VR G lens around the same time so have been using it on that. See here -
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7892550@N03/sets/72157636409369613/
I was disappointed with a few things.
Although a few more megs not a real improvement in quality.
They've moved the function dial to the top and changed it's layout. This makes it less likely to move it accidentely but I liked the fact that I could change the old one one click from Stills to Movie without looking.
They've dropped the Intavalometer Function.
I do like the new hand grip feel.
I don't think it's worth getting if you already have the V1. If you don't then get the V1. The price is very attractive.
Have a look at the Sony Nex 6 instead.
Neil.

Thanks, Neil for your response, much appreciated.
I already own a V1 which has been my best digiscoping camera so far. Despite its small size (I have ordered a handgrip for it) I like the ability to use either the viewfinder or monitor depending on conditions and it gives good results at up to 1600 ISO in our often dismal British weather. It works well too on my Canon lenses with an adaptor.
My thought was to upgrade to a V2 at some point, but on another forum someone else was also disappointed with his V2 so I have decided to stick with my V1 for the time being.
I have just looked at your link above to your flickr page, excellent pics with the 80-400 lens.
Thanks again,
Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back