• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spotting Scope Covers (1 Viewer)

humakt

I was given an 80mm angled spotting scope a short while ago and would like to get a cover for it.
It's a used one and unfortunately I do not know the make.
I was wondering if it was possible to get rain covers for scopes?
I do like the carry cases but the prices can be quite steep, and I know that many cases are scope-specific. But I also seldom carry a scope so not sure I can justify the expense.
But does anyone know if you can get generic rain covers (as opposed to the more robust carry cases)?
I'd rather avoid the camo look, so would prefer green or grey or black.
Any help and advice gratefully appreciated.

Hi,

not sure what you mean by generic rain cover - afaik there's either stay-on cases which tend to be tailored for a specific model or generic carry cases which imply taking the scope off the tripod.
Or you could use a big plastic bag to put over the scope on the tripod when it starts pouring - the thin garbage ones are really small when folded. Add a piece of string to avoid it flying off due to wind.

That's what I still have in my scopac from the time before I had the Skua case.

Joachim

For some reason, rain covers aren't marketed for scopes very often,

The reason is most likely that scopes are usually made waterproof. The only rain cover you generally need is a cap on the ocular.

It's a used one and unfortunately I do not know the make.

Perhaps you can post a picture of it, it should not be too difficult to tell what it is and if it is water proof or not.

The reason is most likely that scopes are usually made waterproof...

I think it is more accurate to say that most modern scopes are marketed as waterproof, even though in fact they are not, especially the inexpensive ones. Most old scopes are not waterproof.

--AP

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back