• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mobile phone UK Field Guide app for Android (2 Viewers)

Hobbes2

I wasn't quite sure where to post this question but here goes...

There seem to be a few UK & European birders field guide apps around for both iPhone and Andoird phones. I just wondered what the most popular or recommended is for Android users please? Ideally, it would have sketches/photos of the birds in various poses/behaviour, with description notes and distribution, and a sample of the song/calls. Would welcome any pointers.
Many thanks
Hobbes

Iv got Bird id UK on my galaxy s5 which has most of the things you mention , but no sketches. I like it and it does for me.

Iv got Bird id UK on my galaxy s5 which has most of the things you mention , but no sketches. I like it and it does for me.

Thanks Colin. The reviews for that app do seem good. Will wait and see if anyone suggests anything else and then make a decision :t:

I use a combination of several in the field. Mostly I refer to "WP checklist" but I have"Birds of Britain", "Bird Sounds" and "UK bird sounds" installed too. All free.

I use a combination of several in the field. Mostly I refer to "WP checklist" but I have"Birds of Britain", "Bird Sounds" and "UK bird sounds" installed too. All free.

Ah-ha, I'd not come across "WP Checklist" and the reviews are very positive. Combining that with the bird sounds apps looks handy too. Thank you ;)

Have a look at Birds Pro. I have this on my Samsung tablet and phone. Has pictures, maps (I think), songs and calls and some basic info. I think I paid about £6 for it. It is in English or German; just select the language of your choice.

Colin

Have a look at Birds Pro. I have this on my Samsung tablet and phone. Has pictures, maps (I think), songs and calls and some basic info. I think I paid about £6 for it. It is in English or German; just select the language of your choice.

Colin

Thanks Colin. Will take a look...

Have just come across Ornithopedia which has versions for Europe and America. It has sounds and links to videos and articles. I had problems getting high quality pics but with help from the developer have solved the problem. I wanted to put it on my external sd card and used application manager to do so. I then tried to do load the articles,sounds and high quality modules but this didn't work. Turns out that I had to use settings on the app to identify my card as the destination. I then downloaded all modules individually and it works.
Well worth a look.

Colin

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back