• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

European butterfly field guide (1 Viewer)

Phil Andrews

It's only Rock and Roller but I like it
United Kingdom
I'm looking for recommendations for a good European butterfly field guide - ideally the whole of Europe but if such a thing doesn't exist I would like one which describes species which occur in France well.

I have this and agree with Owene
I find that collins has very small text and slightly off range maps but is still an excellent book.
Maps are out of date the moment they are published..

I find that collins has very small text and slightly off range maps but is still an excellent book.
I know from my time living in Russia, that some of the species maps are way off, Common Map, (no pun intended) Cyrestis thyodamas for example which I was finding, commonly, on my patch in St Petersburg.

In regard to the small text, there has to be a compromise I think, increasing the font size would lead to the book being bigger, leading to people complaining that it was too big to be a field guide, either that or some text would have to be ommited.

I know from my time living in Russia, that some of the species maps are way off, Common Map, (no pun intended) Cyrestis thyodamas for example which I was finding, commonly, on my patch in St Petersburg.

Sometimes the source info is out of date at the time of publication, but it can also be incorrect

In regard to the small text, there has to be a compromise I think, increasing the font size would lead to the book being bigger, leading to people complaining that it was too big to be a field guide, either that or some text would have to be ommited.
This is true and it is always going to be a compromise. There are online apps especially for birds that are just online versions of the book version. They are up dated too, so may be advantageous if you have a screen large enough to view them.

I've spoken with Matt a few times over the years and he's always been very receptive to ID queries, always very helpful.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back