• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lynx joins with Cornell (1 Viewer)

I have a question re the change over, but without any idea of where to place it or who to ask, I am adding it to this discussion.

I am doing some research for illustrations and lookings at African weavers. If I do a google search I can see that images existed for Tanzanian/Tanganyikan Masked Weaver on HBW: Alive pages. If you click on them it goes to the main Macaulay homepage. If I then search for 'Tanganyikan Masked Weaver' (masked-weaver!) - 'Tanzanian Masked Weaver' does not exist it seems - I get a message that says no results were found.

This must be frustrating for those that uploaded the images, but also the switch over is not necessarily working well.

Can anyone from Cornell say when issues such as these will be addressed or solved?

Thanks

Brian

Hi Brian

It is there: https://birdsoftheworld.org/bow/species/tanmaw1/cur/introduction

... under Tanganyika (not Tanganyikan! BotW aren't very good at alternative names I've found, so is an issue with English/US spellings too!! However, it does find it if you omit the hyphen, which is a bonus.

When I get into difficulty like that... I refer to The Opus and either use an alternative name found there or get the scientific name, mostly works. Otherwise I check with Avibase.

Hi Brian

It is there: https://birdsoftheworld.org/bow/species/tanmaw1/cur/introduction

... under Tanganyika (not Tanganyikan! BotW aren't very good at alternative names I've found, so is an issue with English/US spellings too!! However, it does find it if you omit the hyphen, which is a bonus.

When I get into difficulty like that... I refer to The Opus and either use an alternative name found there or get the scientific name, mostly works. Otherwise I check with Avibase.

Why wouldn't you just search using the scientific name which should remain stable despite the existence of multiple common names?

Did you get out of bed the wrong side this morning Andy?;)

Why?

What did I miss, that's the obvious thing to do isn't it?

Knowing the potential issues with using the common name, I wouldn't often search for a species that way, especially cross platform, cross taxonomy.

Last edited:
Most people, me included, have to search to find the scientific name. I don't generally go around saying oh there's a Turdus merula, Chroicocephalus ridibundus (even have trouble pronouncing that one), or cinclus cinclus, whatever.

And for species on the other side of the road... not a clue!

A decent database should have alternative name options, like The Opus and Avibase.

Back on topic now please Andy. I had merely given Brian some hints on searching BotW.

You think I am daft?

Show me the photos and or text that accompanied the name when it was under HBW...

B

The pictures (or certainly some) are there when you scroll down. Though I'm not sure if you had access to anything else in the way of images.

The pictures (or certainly some) are there when you scroll down. Though I'm not sure if you had access to anything else in the way of images.

Thank you Delia for being hepful

I am signed in and can see the limited text, but still no photos here or in the ebird entry under that name, despite them being on HBW - hence my question directed at Cornell as to when that issue might be addressed.

Brian

What is The Opus please?

It's Birdforum's own database of the world's birds, birding locations and other useful resources, such a topography and a dictionary... one of the tabs at the top of your screen: this is the Home Page.

Anyone can help with editing it.

How long have you been here?;)

It's Birdforum's own database of the world's birds, birding locations and other useful resources, such a topography and a dictionary... one of the tabs at the top of your screen: this is the Home Page.

Anyone can help with editing it.

How long have you been here?;)

Thanks okidoki

I rarely visit the other sections, I'm almost always here

Last edited:
One idea about the images: the photographer should have given explicit permission to transfer the images to BoW/Macaulay. If the permission was not given, they will not be there.

Niels

Thank you Delia for being hepful

I am signed in and can see the limited text, but still no photos here or in the ebird entry under that name, despite them being on HBW - hence my question directed at Cornell as to when that issue might be addressed.

Brian

As Niels mentions, if the photographer hadn't given permission to crossover, the image won't be available to view, and all you'll have is what is shown on google images, unfortunately.

I've had this same issue recently for some research I'm doing. Even if the image has been moved across, clicking on the image just takes me to the Birdsoftheworld homepage, and I have to manually search for what I'm after - not many cases of English name being the same, and even scientific name.

I do like the rich media filter on the larger map - this is a function I find very useful if you're looking for species from a specific area, especially if you're not sure on the race.

James

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back