• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Slaughter of Corvids (Corvidae) in Lower Saxony (Germany)! (1 Viewer)

myself

being nuts on raptors
The link www.thoki.net/petition/ leads to a german website that explains that corvids, mostly Carrion crows (Corvus corone corone), are to be killed, slayed, - over 5,700 up to now - in the state of Lower Saxony.
As it was the case in Austria concerning Marsh Harriers a short time ago (http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=35375), the aim is to figure out whether corvids have a negative effect on other birds, although it's well-known by now that they don't have that bad influences as commonly thought.

It seems that some people always have nightmares that rare, threatened animals do influence common, frequent animals in a negative way! I don't know if it's only me considering this crazy...

The governement of the Swiss canton Berne did a similiar thing this year. After a lot of complaints from the farmers they started to poison the crows. The big problem was, that it was only intend to be for Carrion Crows Corvus corone and not for Rooks Corvus frugilegus or Jackdaws Corvus monedula both which are quite rare in Switzerland. But also other animals weren't that clever as the governement thought and so also foxes and other mammals started to eat the poisoned bait. After a public protest the officials cancelled the project.
Other cantons (like mine, Zürich) shoot the crows which has no effect on the population. You shoot 10 and the next day 15 are back...
I can see the problem that some farmers have, but I can't see the problem some "bird-lovers" have with crows. Yes, they eat other birds, especially young ones. That's nature.

Greetings
André

The big problem was, that it was only intend to be for Carrion Crows Corvus corone and not for Rooks (Corvus frugilegus) or Jackdaws (Corvus monedula)...

That's the problem in the case of Germany too: a lot of rare birds got trapped and although they have all been freed afterwards, eleven of them died and that's - as NABU (the german Association for the Protection of Nature) and I think - eleven times too much!

When will mankind realize what it has done to the environment and the earth itself...

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back