• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

warbler form Jeddah (1 Viewer)

...OK, OK may be I should have wrote this obvious primary spacing. Should have stuck to my first impression! Chiffchaff it is then. Thank's for putting me back on track. Still, I would never trust a google image search ;)

Every morning i go onto the ID forum this bird morphs overnite - sometimes you have to accept that not everything can be positively identified. I am seeing CC’s, both adults and Juvs every day on my local patch and none of them look like that - nowhere near the amount of Green tones with a contrasty pale chest but i am no expert.

Laurie:t:

Every morning i go onto the ID forum this bird morphs overnite - sometimes you have to accept that not everything can be positively identified. I am seeing CC’s, both adults and Juvs every day on my local patch and none of them look like that - nowhere near the amount of Green tones with a contrasty pale chest but i am no expert.

Perhaps you’re giving up a tad fast?
Chiffchaff passing through/wintering in the Arabian peninsula are generally from different populations than the ones you see in the UK.

For instance, what difference do you see between the subject bird and the one below (taken from this page but uploaded here as one seemingly can’t link to a specific image: https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-dd28B/i-jJ9BF5r/A )

Attachments

• BA6429F1-2504-4396-A8CE-0BDBE17EA757.jpeg
    BA6429F1-2504-4396-A8CE-0BDBE17EA757.jpeg
    111.5 KB · Views: 46
Agreed but the Green tones still trouble me - unfortunately, due to other reasons unrelated to birds, i have no intention of visiting the Arabian Peninsula which is a pity but it is what it is and it’s a personal stance.....but it’s still the ‘Greenness’ of the individual:-C

Agreed but the Green tones still trouble me - unfortunately, due to other reasons unrelated to birds, i have no intention of visiting the Arabian Peninsula which is a pity but it is what it is and it’s a personal stance.....but it’s still the ‘Greenness’ of the individual:-C

Laurie, if you look at my image in post 8, that gives you an idea of just how variable CC and WW can be, over the years I’ve had the good fortune to encounter many extreme examples of both taxa, it’s the challenge that makes them so interesting. :t:

Couldn’t agree more Ken:t:

I had a chuckle to myself last night:-O

Like everybody else when i saw the title of the thread i thought it was an obvious typo but as it has progressed, punching above its weight, i feel it is more apt than the original poster realised;)

Good Birding -

Perhaps you’re giving up a tad fast?
Chiffchaff passing through/wintering in the Arabian peninsula are generally from different populations than the ones you see in the UK.

For instance, what difference do you see between the subject bird and the one below (taken from this page but uploaded here as one seemingly can’t link to a specific image: https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-dd28B/i-jJ9BF5r/A )

Yes, it's unfortunately not possible to link a specific image from this website.

That bird is somewhat atypical, as the note under the image suggests. You can get an idea of what typical birds look like from browsing the three pages. We sometimes get those "grey-and-green" birds which people used to think were Siberian, e.g. images 17-20.

Couldn’t agree more Ken:t:

I had a chuckle to myself last night:-O

Like everybody else when i saw the title of the thread i thought it was an obvious typo but as it has progressed, punching above its weight, i feel it is more apt than the original poster realised;)

Good Birding -

Yup, it’s a Chiffchaff that’s «*got form «*

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back