• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can you count feral Barnacle Geese? (1 Viewer)

devilbirder

Hi,
Just wondering if it is generally acceptable to count feral Barnacle Geese, especially the East Anglian and Kent birds? Thanks in advance.

Count anything you want mate, at the end of the day it's your list.
The only time it becomes an issue is if you are conforming to somebody else's recommendations, ie BOU, UK400 etc.
I've got Ross's goose, barnacle goose and snow goose on a list that I keep at home but they don't feature on my Bubo list.

thanks for replies.

Do you count pheasant, red-legged partridge, little owl, parakeets?

I do, but I gathered that Barnacle Geese are more debatable? Maybe I've got the wrong end of the stick.

Count anything you want mate, at the end of the day it's your list.
The only time it becomes an issue is if you are conforming to somebody else's recommendations, ie BOU, UK400 etc.
I've got Ross's goose, barnacle goose and snow goose on a list that I keep at home but they don't feature on my Bubo list.

Thanks. I'm talking about BOU and public lists on bubo etc, so I suppose I should follow along with you and keep barnies clear?

Thanks. I'm talking about BOU and public lists on bubo etc, so I suppose I should follow along with you and keep barnies clear?

That's basicaly it........ only count Barnacles that appear genuinely wild. (Those Muscovy ducks won't count either....!!)

There was a nice flock at Rainham RSPB the other winter, and they occasionally (wild flocks that is) penetrate even further into the the south east. But Feral flocks of Greylags and Canadas, they're countable as far as i'm aware. If you want too.......... ;)

Last edited:
Feral Barnacle Geese are regarded as category C by the BOU and so are countable. Just be careful about the odd very tame ones that are more likely escapes than ferals.

Steve

Hi David,

Ultimately, it is of course up to you.

But just for the record, I personally do not have it on my full list (and I won't until I see some in northern england/scotland in winter) i.e. if you ask me my life list, the number is 247, and is not including Barnacle, even though I have seen many among Canadas in the south, and also seen a few small flocks, which could have been of wild origin, but there is no way to be sure, so I take the conservative option, and not count them.

P.S. Does anyone have any info on the flock of c130 that I saw (in the wild part) at Slimbridge recently, are they all escapes?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back