• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Halesowen Garden sightings (1 Viewer)

12 / 09 / 2019 -

Early morning watch today bringing a couple of surprises RAVEN over first for some time & SWALLOWS over 8 together then at least another 10 individuals over latest record for my garden watch's other than these very quiet around the garden and surrounding area.

18 / 09 / 2019

A little Quiet today with not many gulls around so far today but have had a Juvenile Buzzard and female Sparrowhawk the only Raptors around today.
On the feeders still have 3 Coal tits, Long tail tits, Great tit & Blue tit, Bullfinch, Goldfinch, Greenfinch & Chaffinch,
Nuthatch, House sparrow, Blackbird, Dunnock, Starling, Robin, Wren, Song thrush. Collared dove, Wood pigeon, Feral pigeon, Magpie, Jay, Carrion crow & Jackdaw

19 / 09 / 2019 -
Garden Lifer a pair of ROOKS OVER other highlights from this morning were Sparrowhawk, Meadow pipit over, 2 Swans over, Buzzard much darker than the usual one, Green & Greater woodpeckers at the feeders, Coal tits still coming to the feeders and Nuthatch x2

19 / 09 / 2019 -
Garden Lifer a pair of ROOKS OVER other highlights from this morning were Sparrowhawk, Meadow pipit over, 2 Swans over, Buzzard much darker than the usual one, Green & Greater woodpeckers at the feeders, Coal tits still coming to the feeders and Nuthatch x2

Good sighting Adrian, I've only had a handful of Rook garden records myself. How many species have you seen in your garden, if you don't mind me asking?

Chris

20 / 09 / 2019 -

06.15am start this morning, not a lot of fly overs this morning mainly Wood pigeons but just a couple of LBBG, Magpie's, Jackdaw and a couple of Jays
I have had a couple fo large flocks of Long Tailed tit's in the garden this past week but this morning the first flock of around 15 birds was already at the feeders when I went out in the early morning light, the second flock didn't appear till around 07.30 about 25 in total in this flock all seem to eating the White sunflower hearts.

01 / 10 / 2019 -

At least 2 Tawny Owls calling all through the night, this morning at the feeders and over the fields at the bottom of the garden were, -

Jay, Collared dove, Song thrush, Long tailed tit (small flock of around 10 birds), Coal tit (4 at one time possibly more in tree's), Grey Heron over & Buzzard over

Gulls over -

Lbbg, Bhg, Herring gull x2 & a very dark large gull heading in direction of Bartley.

05 / 10 / 2019

06.30am start today still dark but starting to lighten up a little.
TAWNY OWL still calling as been most of the night.
REDWINGS back 2 small flocks over (8 & 10) first flock around 07.20am second flock around 08.10am
COAL TIT 5 in the garden at one time.
SPARROWHAWK a pair flying around the garden and into the fields at the back.

10 / 10 / 2019 (06.45 - 08.00am)

No SWALLOWS this morning but plenty of REDWINGS over
TAWNY OWL (a pair) calling from 04.25 - 05.10am this morning
plenty of Large GULLS over this morning mostly LBBG a few HERRING and quite a few BHG in different flocks

Update 10 / 10 / 2019 -

Male Bullfinch & Greenfinch on feeders I love how this species (Bullfinch) seem to go to pastel colours and the chest is no where near as bright at this time of year as in the Spring.

Sorry Luckyosprey 4 only just seen your reply for some reason will be putting up a list for this year shortly.
Will be going through my garden list records for the 16 years to put a life list on here by the end of November.

12 / 10 / 2019 -

SWALLOW through this morning single bird,
REDWING 2 small flocks (8 & 6)
JACKDAWS 50+
COAL TIT (6) at feeders same time possibly 2 more in bushes.

Garden sightings year list to date - (this list includes fly overs)

REF SPECIES NAME
01 Carrion crow
02 Buzzard
03 Robin
04 Lesser black backed gull
05 Magpie
06 Wood pigeon
07 Blue tit
08 House sparrow
09 Feral pigeon
10 Great tit
11 Great spotted woodpecker
12 Bullfinch
13 Chaffinch
14 Starling
15 Green woodpecker
16 Blackbird
17 Goldfinch
18 Long tailed tit
19 Collared dove
20 Redwing
21 Tawny owl
22 Pheasant
23 Wren
24 Black headed gull
25 Dunnock
26 Coal tit
27 Herring gull
28 Fieldfare
29 Meadow pipit
30 Song thrush
31 Jay
32 Pied wagtail
33 Greenfinch
34 Raven
35 Sparrowhawk
36 Mute swan
37 Linnet
38 Jackdaw
39 Mallard
40 Great black backed gull
41 Mistle thrush
42 Yellowhammer
43 Grey heron
44 Blackcap
47 Canada goose
48 Brambling
49 Siskin
50 Pintail
51 Skylark
52 Ring necked parakeet
53 Greylag goose
54 Chiffchaff
55 Goldcrest
56 Swallow
57 House martin
58 Common snipe
59 Whitethroat
60 Swift
61 Tufted duck
62 Great white egret
63 Nuthatch
64 Rook

Thats my garden list don't forget I am really lucky as my garden backs on to open fields and I have a fisheries close by with many gulls going to roost at Bartley or Frankley,
Also have a wonderful area of scrub with a stream running and great canopy of trees leading into the fields many species I may get to see once or maybe twice a year but they still count.

15 / 10 / 2019 -

Damp start to the mornings watch still dark so decided to fill the feeders, stayed murky and misty all through the watch this morning (06.45 - 8.00am)

Usual suspects around not much flying over due to very low cloud but did manage to watch the coal tits playing around on the feeder and in the bushes and trees (6 in total at one time)
Young Buzzard sat in the trees at the bottom of the garden and a female Sparrowhawk flew just above the trees only a couple of LBBG over this morning

No bird watching today but a quick question to all.
What do you feed the birds in your garden?

My feeders are filled predominately with sunflower hearts, the white centre leaves little mess as birds just discard the black shell. Siskins, Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Bullfinch, House Sparrows, Great/Blue/Coal/Long Tail Tits, Nuthatch feed on that feeder. ( plus a Grey Squirrel )

Then niger seeds which Goldfinch, Bullfinch like.

Fat balls the Long Tail Tits love along with Stock Doves and Jackdaws

The Peanuts which Great Spotted Woodpeckers and Nuthatch love.

The sunflower hearts are by far the favourite, sometimes the feeder with them is empty by dinner time.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back