• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is the Audubon porroprism no more? (1 Viewer)

I know Vixen Japan still stocks the model 820 ED. Nice bin but impossible for me to use one-handed, which is important to me since my other hand usually has another piece of gear (or a beer!) in it. I sold mine after getting the Bushnell Legend Ultra HD.

While Swift still shows the 820 & 820ED porros in their catalog, they are becoming increasing difficult to find at any of the online retailers, which would lead one to believe they are being phased out, or in very limited production if they are still being produced. The 828 roofs are still designated as the HSS by those retailers that carry them and they are much easier to come by online.

The last Swift catalog I have is for 2006, where it's listed as the 828 HHS Audubon 8.5x, 44mm. That's really all I can say, except that it looks like what's showing on their website. At least wrt roofs, there's lots of competition nowadays, and very few products can survive that remain unimproved year after year.

Ed

...It would be sad to see the Audubon, a Japanese classic,symbol of an Era , go into chinese production ,but I imagine with the inexpensive ED glass coming from the People´s Republic ,an ED version of this classic could be put together for the same amount the japanese Non-ED was made, (they make the ZEN ED for less than 400,and they are phase coated,dialectric mirrored roofers,so for 250 $ the SUPER PORRO should be possible to produce in China!).They should sell the patent to a company that cares(not that any other company would care about Swift´s binoculars,but this is only talk!),and the same thing should do Bushnell with the Customs.!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back