• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

kingfishers - bath area uk (1 Viewer)

finchy

Anybody know if there's a good spot for seeing kingfishers around the bath area please.We have the kennet and avon canal and the river avonbut i've never seen one.
Any help much appreciated.
thank you

Hello finchy,
We saw kingfisher along the canal near Bath, it's an unmistakable place but I don't know where it is.
The canal crosses the river about 50 feet above it on a viaduct.
There can't be too many places like that!
Good Luck

Nearer than that, there always used to be a pair in Bristol on the River Frome at Snuff Mills. You'd need to get out very early to see them, though. They don't like people and become very elusive later in the day (and they're elusive enough to begin with).

thanks for the replies.
pduxon,i'm going to slimbridge this week,do you know whereabouts they are.
Gerry,I reckon that'll probably be the viaduct at limpley stoke,thanks.

Bluetail said:
Nearer than that, there always used to be a pair in Bristol on the River Frome at Snuff Mills. You'd need to get out very early to see them, though. They don't like people and become very elusive later in the day (and they're elusive enough to begin with).

Hey! That's my local patch!

You're quite right about seeing Kingfishers at Snuff Mills. I have also seen them along the canal at Bath as well. Your best bet is to find a quiet spot and sit and wait with patience! Kingfishers are very quick and the most common view is a flash of blue flying along the water line. Sometimes you can get lucky however, and a Kingfisher will land on an overhanging branch and dive repeatedly into the water catching small fish.

Good luck! :t:

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back