• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird of prey? Bath, England (1 Viewer)

Charlie Spencer

United States
May 27, 2023. Northeast of Bath between the River Avon and the Kennet & Avon canal. Clear, warm day with light wind.

I was trying to get photos of active swallows. When I was reviewing the photos, I noticed this in the background. Accipiter? Falcon? Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• DSC07014.JPG
    DSC07014.JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 65
Hello Charlie,
any more pictures?
I think that artefacts are greatly changing impression, features here. Therefore its difficult to be sure, it might well be a Falcon (a Peregrine? A Hobby with an appearantly long tail? Another falcon?)

And although proprtions seems off, I am struggling to rule out a Pied Wagtail here. No offence you know, but please compare to the brightened picture (I hope you dont mind)

Attachments

• DSC07014.JPG
    DSC07014.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 52
Hello Charlie,
any more pictures?

And although proprtions seems off, I am struggling to rule out a Pied Wagtail here. No offence you know, but please compare to the brightened picture (I hope you dont mind)
Sorry, this is the only photo that happened to include this bird. And no, I don't mind you lightening it.

There were Pied Wagtails in the area. I can be satisfied with that identification, or even with Peregrine. I have solid lifer photos of both of those species from earlier in the week. I wouldn't feel bad about listing either one of those, although I probably wouldn't include the photo if Pied Wagtail is the consensus. I wouldn't feel right reporting a Hobby or other lifer based solely on this one weak photo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back