• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone been to Darien NP in Panama? (1 Viewer)

DiggitalD

Thoughtful Monkey
The Darien area seems like a perfect place to visit while in Panama, but I've read about bad mojo happening so close to the Colombian border, even near Cana. I'd still like to check it out. Plus, it seems that the only way to get into the reserves is strictly by tour (very pricey for a backpacker).

Hi there,
You should talk to Guido Berguido, he's a Panamian who organises tours for birders. He's a member of this forum, his nickname is Capito.
Cedric

I went there in 2004 with Ancon Expeditions, not too pricey and an excellent trip. We saw 270+ species on foot at Cana and finished with some birding in the canal zone, 329 species in one week.

Cana, Cerro Pierre in the Darien have a few endemic species and there are 4 Macaw species there, definately one of the best birding spots in the world.

You can see our trip report on Blake Maybanks website.

Hola Amigos,

Glad to hear you would like to visit the Darien region. You are right, the Darien is one of the most exciting places in Panama to visit. It has more than 500 different species of birds recorded, including a couple of endemics and many restricted to Panama and Colombia in the Choco bioregion.

The easiest / most convenient way to visit Darien, as you guessed, is on a birding tour.
Of which we can offer a couple of birding programs both in the lowlands and in the mountains.
If, on the other hand, you don´t particularly need to have a bilingual birding guide, don´t care using public transport, or don´t need fancy meals, and so on; we may be able to help you as well.

Our company, Advantage Tours, manages the Chucanti Private Nature Reserve in the highlands of Western Darien where many of the specialties and endemics are found.
If you don´t need to go there on an official tour, you may just join one of our regular staff trips there tp bring in supplies to the field station or when our rangers are changing guard.

We are also currently building a new field station at the Chepigana Forest Reserve just West of the Darien National Park, quite distant from any area of potential conflict.
The site is really great for birding, with a couple of harpy eagle nests in the vicinity and macaws flying over the site. If you don´t need to join one of our regular birding tours there, you may tag-along on our staff trips to the site and enjoy the birds on your own while just paying a symbolic fee to cover meals, entrance fees, and the like.

Enjoy Panama.

Saludos,
Guido

PS. Quick note to advise that many North American migrants have already arrived in Panama. This last week we conducted a 9-day birding program (Sept 14-22) for some folks from the US and Australia and out of the 403 birds recorded, there were many migrants.
It was interesting to find mix flocks in the mountains with Golden-browed Chlorophonia, Spangle-cheeked Tanager, Common Bush-tanagers, large numbers of Blackburnian Warblers and Red-eyed Vireos. Also seen were Black-and-white, Yellow, Golden-winged, and some rarities like Cerulean Warbler and a Black-troated Blue Warbler.

Guido C. Berguido
Biologist - Operations Manager
Advantage Tours Panama
"Adventures in nature with the local Advantage"

P.O. Box 0801-00051
Republic of Panama
Tel. 011-507-6676-2466
fax: 011-507-221-9246
e.mail: [email protected]
web: www.advantagepanama.com

Hi

anyone care to update info re Darien for a potential stay in Panama Jan/Feb 2011

Rich

Hola:

Beny Wilson (Me) organize trips to Nuevo Vigia and Marraganti in the Tuquesa River where you could get some of the Dariens specialties. Very Basic but clean acomodations

Guido Berguido organize trips to La Marea (Harpy Eagle and some lowland Darien specialties) and Cerro Chucanti (highlands with some of the endemics like Beautifull Treerunner but tuff hikes)

Euclides Kilo Campos make trips to El Real where you get a great share of the endemics. This trip requeries optimal physical conditions

Ancon Expeditions offers trips to Cana in the foothills rigth next to the border with Colombia. Pricy but worth a try.

Conditions are far better than 5 years ago when this post was created: better road, lots of security, some few new hotels!

I hope this information had help!

Advantage Tours Chucanti Package

Our company, Advantage Tours, manages the Chucanti Private Nature Reserve in the highlands of Western Darien where many of the specialties and endemics are found.

Guido - some friends and I are considering a trip that might include your Chucanti Package. In their Bird-Finding Guide to Panama (2008) Angehr, Engleman, and Engleman mentioned a per-person rate of $350, which included transportation from and to Panama City, bilingual guide service, meals, and lodging for three nights. Has that rate increased significantly?

Gary Hunter
Abilene, TX USA

Guido - some friends and I are considering a trip that might include your Chucanti Package...

Gary Hunter
Abilene, TX USA

Gary, you might try contacting Guido directly thru advantagepanama.com

Best of luck, and can't wait to go back to Panama,

Jim

Diego,
one little thing on copyright: unless you have explicit permission from the photographer, then it is better to only give the link and not include the photo itself.

cheers
Niels

The Darien area seems like a perfect place to visit while in Panama, but I've read about bad mojo happening so close to the Colombian border, even near Cana. I'd still like to check it out. Plus, it seems that the only way to get into the reserves is strictly by tour (very pricey for a backpacker).

DiggitalD,
hope you have a nice trip to this amazing area if you are planning something.. for sure Guido and other Panamanians are best advise to get there... Get all those endemics we share with Panama that for sure nowadays best way to do it is from the Panama side...

SEVERAL surprises (very very neat ones indeed!) coming from the Colombian side from this area after some expeditions... stay tuned!

Diego.

Thanks for replyin g Frogddondey so sorry taken so long to reply.
Confirm will be in Panam,a for 3 months from early Feb so lots of time to consider this area.

Assuming we can get out of the UK, man its so cold here -9 daytime, most airports

closed -eek

Feliz Navidad

Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back