• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird Guide for Zambia and Malawi (1 Viewer)

stuartvine

Off on a jaunt to South Luangwa, Zambia and Malawi next year. What would be the best field guide to take (hiking involved, so something usable in the field)?

You are travelling to a tricky area. There's no one book that covers all the species in those two countries other than Sinclair and Ryan's `Birds of Africa South of the Sahara', but you wouldn't want to carry that when hiking.

You'll get a detailed picture of what's out there by looking on the webpage of the African Bird Club. They discuss field guides for every African country. (Hover over the `Countries' tab, pick a country, and on the resulting page pick the `Books and Sounds' tab on the right.)

Sinclair et al: Birds of Southern Africa (known as `the SASOL') is probably the most useful one volume you could take. There's a separate guide to birds found in Zambia but not in South Africa, but I think even the combnation would not cover every species on the list for Malawi.

I'd probably start by looking for checklists for the areas I planned to visit and then see how many species aren't in SASOL.

If you're looking for ultra-portable and are willing to make some concessions (and have the possibility to recharge your device as needed) then SASOL is available as an app for a number of operating systems.

Andrea

If you are spending time in Malawi I would recommend using The Birds of Malawi by Dowsett-Lemaire & Dowsett to help with planning but it is by no means a field guide!

Thanks very much to both of you :) Fortunately I've got SASOL, so that's one less to buy. Apps not an option sadly - there's one five day hike with no electricity and some of the places we'll be camping/staying aren't connected either.

I suspect what I'll do is use SASOL, photo everything I can't ID and then bother the ID Forum here for six months afterwards ;-)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back