Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

HANDLING FLARE- WHICH 8x42 binocular is best

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Thursday 28th December 2006, 14:54   #1
308CAL
Forum Member

HANDLING FLARE- WHICH 8x42 binocular is best

Using binocs in lowlight or adverse light (sunrise, sunset, dusk, dawn) which 8x binoc is best at managing stray light...
ultravid
el
fl
nikon
minox
thanks
Old Thursday 28th December 2006, 14:56   #2
Otto McDiesel

My experience is that Leica Ultravid has the least flare and the best controlled stray light. The FL and the EL are almost as good (i did get some reflexions off the eyepieces in these two, but i suspect that the winged eyecups for the EL would have fixed that). If you are looking for a hunting/shooting binoculars, i feel Ultravid is the way to go. The 8x32 is a nice and handy bino that will work just as well as the larger 8x42. The 7x42 Ultravid will work well into the night.
Try before you buy.

Last edited by Otto McDiesel : Thursday 28th December 2006 at 15:00.
Old Thursday 28th December 2006, 15:46   #3
308CAL
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
My experience is that Leica Ultravid has the least flare and the best controlled stray light. The FL and the EL are almost as good (i did get some reflexions off the eyepieces in these two, but i suspect that the winged eyecups for the EL would have fixed that). If you are looking for a hunting/shooting binoculars, i feel Ultravid is the way to go. The 8x32 is a nice and handy bino that will work just as well as the larger 8x42. The 7x42 Ultravid will work well into the night.
Try before you buy.
wow thanks

I am talking about coming in from the objective side not from behind me via the occular lens.
basically light that isnt in my FOV but causes a haze, halo, or cloud like distortion....
Old Thursday 28th December 2006, 18:21   #4
hinnark

Quote:
Originally Posted by 308CAL
wow thanks

I am talking about coming in from the objective side not from behind me via the occular lens.
basically light that isnt in my FOV but causes a haze, halo, or cloud like distortion....
No matter where the light comes from - the Ultravid works best against straylight followed by Zeiss.

Steve
Old Thursday 28th December 2006, 18:46   #5
308CAL
Forum Member

thanks!
Old Friday 29th December 2006, 14:11   #6
Otto McDiesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 308CAL
wow thanks

Ultravid, no question about it.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: