• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Polecat or Hybrid (1 Viewer)

sidwemn

https://twitter.com/zuriag/status/1275538433730060291

This animal was showing well at Nosterfield NR in North Yorkshire yesterday (not seen it myself). Could it be a pure animal? Looks close, but I'm thinking possibly a bit too much white on the face band above the eyes & black only just reaching the nose. It doesn't appear to show any white feet, no white throat patch or white guard hairs on the hind quarters so I'm not really sure

Cheers
Martyn

Last edited:
https://twitter.com/zuriag/status/1275538433730060291

This animal was showing well at Nosterfield NR in North Yorkshire yesterday (not seen it myself). Could it be a pure animal? Looks close, but I'm thinking possibly a bit too much white on the face band above the eyes & black only just reaching the nose. It doesn't appear to show any white feet, no white throat patch or white guard hairs on the hind quarters so I'm not really sure

Cheers
Martyn

I think it is a hybrid but one that is more polecat than ferret, the face is not quite right but the rest of the animal is more polecat like.

Mark

Mark

If you read Johnny Birks' latest book, Polecats, you will find that the association between Polecat hybridisation and appearance is actually quite weak. If it looks broadly like a Polecat and is behaving like one, it most likely is one: and survival in the wild of hybrids and ferrets has been found on the whole to be poor, so as the true Polecat resumes its full British range the population's genetic purity actually improves.

So I would call this a Polecat and enjoy it.

John

If you read Johnny Birks' latest book, Polecats, you will find that the association between Polecat hybridisation and appearance is actually quite weak. If it looks broadly like a Polecat and is behaving like one, it most likely is one: and survival in the wild of hybrids and ferrets has been found on the whole to be poor, so as the true Polecat resumes its full British range the population's genetic purity actually improves.

So I would call this a Polecat and enjoy it.

John

Agreed I treat then all as polecats in my sightings records

Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back