• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica duovids (1 Viewer)

I've only handled and looked through them at a shop. Though I find the idea of dual magnification binoculars interesting, the Duovids (at 37 oz.) are too much hardware for me to tote around.

Have owned a pair of Duovids for about 4 years now.
Don't notice the weight.
To me, they feel robust and indestructable and well built.
They are great at 8x and just as good at 12x.
Can walk all day with them around my neck no problems.
You can get away without taking a scope out and about all the time. Just put them to 12x and focus in.

Leica Duovids

I also have had my Duovids for 4 years .
They are a bit heavy at the start but not now, great at 8x wide FOV then zoom right in at 12x.
Plus when you go from 8 to 12 you don't have to refocus, you can also get 10x with a bit of fiddling.
Also with the weight of them they don't bounce around while walking.
I have tried many bins since and nothing comes close to them.
I highly recommend them, bit pricey at £1500 but i payed £850 back then, (Leica price increase) ? :t:

Attachments

• IMG_2141.JPG
    IMG_2141.JPG
    201.7 KB · Views: 248
Last edited:
My Duovid 10+15x50 arrived today, and clearly the neck strap is inadequate to protect my now sore neck.
What neck straps or support do others use?

edj

At 44 oz, I am not sure that any neck strap will be confortable.

On another thread, the Mad Dog harness is suggested. Leica also makes one.

edj

I use binoculars of about the same weight. The only thing I've found that really works well with such heavy binoculars is the Bino Manager in this link:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/stearns-mad-dog-gear-pro-series-bino-manager.aspx?a=277126

With the pouch removed it becomes a straightforward harness with several design details that make it work well with heavy binoculars. The shoulder straps are a combination of neoprene and non-elastic webbing, much better than straight elastic for handling heavy weight. There is a wide yoke in the back that keeps the shoulder straps off the neck. Elastic straps wrap around the torso, but there are no "armpit" straps, so the binocular hangs just like it would on a neck strap. I tried every neck strap (neoprene, air cell, etc) and several harnesses. The neck straps all put too much weight on the neck and none of the other harnesses could handle the weight.

If you mean this one:

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/site.pl?page=leicabinoharness

It looks like the same generic harness that Zeiss, Swarovski, Nikon and others use. The only difference is the logo on the piece of leather. It works fine for light bins, but the elastic is too stretchy for a 44 oz. load. To keep the binoculars from hanging below your waist the thing has to be cinched up so tight that the "armpit" straps interfere with lifting the binocular to your eyes. Try it. You'll see what I mean.

Durability?

These appear to be well built-are they solid enough for me to carry around in my truck all the time and withstand the vibration on the switch mechanism?
I do not want to shake them to pieces, but would like them handy when I am driving.

edj

Owned a pair for about a year.

Optics are excellent, mainly used them for astronomy. Out of all the binoculars I've ever had, and I've had a few, I have never seen views of Jupiter and Saturn like them, tack sharp !
Build quality was awesome, really felt like a top of the range pair of bins which would last a life time.
Only thing which annoyed me was the weight and the slightly reduced fov compared to fixed magnification bins.
Would like to get another pair but am not prepared to put up with the weight.
At the moment Leica seems to be adding HD lenses to their range so if they do the same with the duovids plus change the housing from aluminium to magnesium, or do something else about the weight, I'll be looking to get hold of a pair.

Tim

I find that if you ware a polo neck t-shirt with the collar up i have no problems with them at all, even out all day birding !

And i must mention, at twilight these bins really come in to there own, you can see right up to when its dark.

Great Stuff EdJ

As i have said before i have tried many bins since buying the Duovid and nothing get close to them !

Before buying them i used to always take the Scope out with me !
But not any more, woods are great with these bins as you have more than enough power !

And when i go to a marsh or to the coast i take the Giant Killer (ED50)
What else do you need !!!

Im glad you like them ! i dont see many birders in this country with them ?
But they all that i talk to want to have a look through them, and all say how good they are...

Steve,

I can understand the concern.
I come from the amateur astronomy side of binocular use.
The zoom eyepieces have a bad reputation due to many low quality eps
and the few good are expensive.
Zoom binoculars have an even worse rep,
and the Duovids are about the most expensive binoculars available.
But I do not regret the purchase-at all!

edj

Though there is a difference between a bin (or telescope) that uses a zoom lens and one that switches between two (or more) fixed powers. There are a different set of trade offs in the latter design which usually better AFOV than the straight zoom design.

The designs can be fiddley/clever and are still a bit of a compromise. See the recent thread on Leupold Switch Power bins (the only other switchable power bins). That thread points to the patent the describes their optomechanical design. One reason they're not common as a manufacturer must license the patent from the inventor (not Leupold, curiously, but an independent Japanese optical designer) though when the patent expires we may see more of these bins. I suspect Leica have their own method (that I presume is also patented).

I haven't looked up the numbers for the Duovids. Can someone post the FOV for each of the maginifcations for these bins?

What year were the Duovids introduced?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back