• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bridge camera 35mm equivalent focal lenth question. (1 Viewer)

Shaggy2070

I have a Fuji Finepix s5600 bridge camera that I used to use a lot before I upgraded to a Canon DSLR.
The lens has a 10X optical zoom with a 35mm equivalent of 380mm.
The sensor has a crop factor of 1.6x .

Does that mean the lens has the new equivalent of 608mm (380mm x 1.6) or has the crop factor already been taken into account by the manufacturer to get the 35mm equivalent of 380mm, if you know what I mean???

Aren't you mixing apples with pears here?

your Fuji has reach equivalent to a 380 mm on a 35 mm camera; any sensor crop factor has been taken into account already.

The Canon has a sensor crop factor of 1.6, so whatever lens you put on that camera will have a reach equivalent to the length of the lens in mm x 1.6. You have not written anything about which lens is on the canon house.

Niels

Aren't you mixing apples with pears here?

your Fuji has reach equivalent to a 380 mm on a 35 mm camera; any sensor crop factor has been taken into account already.

Niels
Thanks Niels:t:
I was just curious as to whether the "bridge camera" manufacturers take into account the crop factor when they say it has lens equivalent of 380mm or whatever their focal length.

BTW I have the Canon 400 f5.6 L lens on the Canon body, which I'm totally happy with.;)B :)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back