• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

9th July moths (1 Viewer)

Surreybirder

Ken Noble
I had my best ever catch on 9th July... I've still got about 50 to identify! (not necessarily all different).
For a change I thought I'd put up some of the ones that are new to me but which I'm reasonably confident of :bounce: --but, of course, contrary opinions are welcome :eek!: .
And, Harry, I took your advice and covered the trap in black bin bags when I turned it off at 4.30 a.m., and put it in our shed (which has a window). But when I removed the bags, some of the moths were very active and a lot were quite worn. Is this because they were worn anyway? Or is my shed not dark enough? I assume that some moths 'wake up' the very instant that you uncover the trap.
So, if I'm right, here are: rosy footman, scalloped oak, small scallop, common footman and peppered moth.
Ken

Attachments

• 1a.jpg
    1a.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 179
  • scalloped_oak.jpg
    scalloped_oak.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 181
  • small_scallop.jpg
    small_scallop.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 195
  • 38.jpg
    38.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 172
  • peppered_moth.JPG
    peppered_moth.JPG
    167.7 KB · Views: 189
Surreybirder said:
I had my best ever catch on 9th July... I've still got about 50 to identify! (not necessarily all different).
For a change I thought I'd put up some of the ones that are new to me but which I'm reasonably confident of :bounce: --but, of course, contrary opinions are welcome :eek!: .
And, Harry, I took your advice and covered the trap in black bin bags when I turned it off at 4.30 a.m., and put it in our shed (which has a window). But when I removed the bags, some of the moths were very active and a lot were quite worn. Is this because they were worn anyway? Or is my shed not dark enough? I assume that some moths 'wake up' the very instant that you uncover the trap.
So, if I'm right, here are: rosy footman, scalloped oak, small scallop, common footman and peppered moth.
Ken

Hi Ken,
Your ID's are correct and your pics are improving. Ref. worn moths, many get worn throughout their life, so those that were worn, may have been like that before they were trapped.

I'm not sure how you are using the bin bags to cover the trap but if you enclose the whole trap in a bag with the bulb still hot from use the high temperature may have made them flutter about and damage themselves. Try removing the bulb next time, before you cover them up. Another black bin bag pinned over your shed window may also help to keep out the light. As I wrote before, I bring mine inside and put them in the cupboard under the stairs which is cool and dark.

Occasionally you will get the odd specimens that won't settle for any reason, especially LYU/wings and these are big enough to damage many of the other specimens. Garden sheds do heat up quite quickly in early morning sunshine so I would try putting them somewhere else there it is cooler. An unheated garage perhaps.

Harry

Thanks, Harry. I did remove the bulb! I suspect that the problem is that the shed is not dark enough, and probably too warm as well. Unfortunately I don't think we've got a better alternative at the moment. (It's possible that the moths may be aware of some light through the sides of the trap itself which is made of a thick green plastic.) I may try with more bin liners draped over the whole contraption next time.
I think my photos were better this time 'cos I took them in daylight ;) As I've said before, taking them by artificial light is never very satisfactory.
Just in case anyone wants a bit of work, here are a few unidentified micros !! I'm afraid they're not great pix... my camera is not really adequate for such small subjects.
Ken

Attachments

• 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 178
  • 37.jpg
    37.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 188
  • micro-small.jpg
    micro-small.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 76
  • 41.jpg
    41.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 188
  • 55.jpg
    55.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back