• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Contaminated Bird Feed? (1 Viewer)

ChrisSouthUK

United Kingdom
Hi,
I hope you can help me with this question. I have a bird feeder in my garden which has kept our resident sparrows and blackbirds and the occasional rarer birds happy for some time.
I bought a 20kg bag of feed which they have been happily munching through. I stupidly put it into the shed which attracted a family of mice which helped themselves to some by nibbling holes so it poured out onto the floor.
The mice have been humanely trapped and relocated now but what I now notice is the feed isn't eaten anywhere near as quickly. Normally I'd re-fill it after a couple of days but it lasts a couple of weeks now.
Is it possible the feed is contaminated with mouse urine or feaces and the birds are sensitive to this?

Hi Chris and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. I'm up in Scotland and I expect fewer birds to be eating some of my bird food soon as the winter visitors depart, Starlings in particular - I don't have enough fingers and toes to count them LOL

But to answer your question, it's very likely your spilled feed has become contaminated. It really should be kept in a dustbin (or similar) if being stored in a shed.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Welcome to Birdforum.

It could well be that with milder weather more insects around that the birds are finding more natural food and not relying so much on what people provide.

Thanks so much for the warm welcome and advice.
I think I'll buy a smaller pack of fresh bird feed and if it goes down at a similar rate I'll assume it's due to our winter friends departing for warmer climes and keep the other feed, otherwise I'll bin it.
I'm planning to build or buy a bird nest camera for next years nesting season so will report back any interesing visitors/pictures.

Hi,
I hope you can help me with this question. I have a bird feeder in my garden which has kept our resident sparrows and blackbirds and the occasional rarer birds happy for some time.
I bought a 20kg bag of feed which they have been happily munching through. I stupidly put it into the shed which attracted a family of mice which helped themselves to some by nibbling holes so it poured out onto the floor.
The mice have been humanely trapped and relocated now but what I now notice is the feed isn't eaten anywhere near as quickly. Normally I'd re-fill it after a couple of days but it lasts a couple of weeks now.
Is it possible the feed is contaminated with mouse urine or feaces and the birds are sensitive to this?
Ah...summer warmer weather and a time that breeding elevates. If you're a Northern Red Cardinal paired to a mate you are likely flat out breeding machines. And although those are Cardinals something other birds are not. When the breeding begins I start to throttle back on my feeding routine and by mid summer put seed out just once weekly. Birds should be focusing on a more natural diet i.e.. protein from worms or a variety of insects it is essential to the breeding process. So you need to turn off the human brain and help the birds focus on a healthier diet.

Now for those who want to feed full time you should know that much of the seed being sold as in from the big box stores is seed from an older crop/year. Well past its prime. You should look even if it requires more effort more travel to doing business with those sellers who refuse to promote and sell substandard product. Trust me those selling the most current grown product are out there. Do not spend your money on stuff that shouldn't be available because when you do so it only promotes more of the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back