• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

quick math question. (1 Viewer)

Yes, correct.
Is that a Nikon E 8x30? Then pie, and B :)
Nikon's spec page (link) for this model gives
Angular field of view (Real): 8.8 degrees, and
Field of view at 1000 meters: 154 meters.
154 meters at 1000 meters is
154 yards at 1000 yards, or
on x by 3
462 feet at 1000 yards.

That's the one. I bought it on a recommendation from Bluespiderweb and WJC. I wouldn't have really listened had it not been for that number 462. That clinched it for me. :t: I hope it lives up to the hype because I'm usually not a porro buyer.

Hi adhoc,

Great concise summary! :)

Let me try to cover the background:

The 360 degree horizon at 1000 m distance has a length of 2 * pi * 1000 m.

So if we have x degrees of field of vision, it's x / 360 deg * 2 * pi * 1000 m wide.

With that in mind, you don't even have to memorize any numbers. (Other than pi, which has an infinite number of digits ;-)

Regards,

Henning

I think you guys just like showing off. That and saying "PI"

I think you guys just like showing off. That and saying "PI"

no, they're alens. or we are.i think its them. their use of irrational, transcendental numbers exerts a subtle influence on our psyche which keeps us in thrall. the egyptian, babylonian, indian, chinese and greek thinkers tried to break free by squaring the circle but until we dreamers manage that feat, we are still lost.

At 300 feet from an object, that 462 feet/1000 yards compared to lets say 405 feet/1000 yards is 5.7 feet difference in Linear FOV across the horizontal, the periphery does not matter to me since I am looking straight into the sweet spot.

When taking advantage of targets over 500 feet to infinity I will use 10X or more, to see detail.
that is why for me I will always have a 10X or greater.
I do appreciate a wider FOV at low power when sweeping the sky at night.

A.W.

At 300 feet from an object, that 462 feet/1000 yards compared to lets say 405 feet/1000 yards is 5.7 feet difference in Linear FOV across the horizontal, the periphery does not matter to me since I am looking straight into the sweet spot.

When taking advantage of targets over 500 feet to infinity I will use 10X or more, to see detail.
that is why for me I will always have a 10X or greater.
I do appreciate a wider FOV at low power when sweeping the sky at night.

A.W.

Agree Andy...this is the way "I always see it"!

However, my peripheral vision field has tested with an acuity out to the edge of the instrument, thus I do appreciate\enjoy as wide a FOV as I can get! :eek!:

Ted

That's the one. I bought it on a recommendation from Bluespiderweb and WJC. I wouldn't have really listened had it not been for that number 462. That clinched it for me. :t: I hope it lives up to the hype because I'm usually not a porro buyer.

John,

The Hype is...REAL! :eek!:

Enjoy,

Ted

no, they're alens. or we are.i think its them. their use of irrational, transcendental numbers exerts a subtle influence on our psyche which keeps us in thrall. the egyptian, babylonian, indian, chinese and greek thinkers tried to break free by squaring the circle but until we dreamers manage that feat, we are still lost.

Many here may think you are joking but I know from translation of the ancient Sumerian cuneiform tablets which are some of the earliest records of human writing that we were genetically created as a slave race to mine minerals for an alien race that still influences us to this day.

What that has to do with binoculars I do not know.

A.W.

What about the use of a wider peripheral vision for picking up moving objects as in finding birds and then keeping them in view when they are on the move? That's a benefit for a wide FOV. Those little birds can be hard to track and stick with, not to mention butterflies and bees. At three hundred feet it might not matter that much but what about at 20 or 50 ft on a moving target.

Last edited:
What about the use of a wider peripheral vision for picking up moving objects as in finding birds and then keeping them in view when they are on the move? That's a benefit for a wide FOV. Those little birds can be hard to track and stick with, not to mention butterflies and bees.

BC, you Andy both have valid points. One can examine the disparity from a real world perspective, in this case, closer range, which may correspond to the terrain/habitat one is birding, and realize that number isn’t as critical as it sounds. At the same time the advantages of a wider fov are what you stated.

-Bill

578 is betterer (for 7x35).
Another point is that any measurement is worthless without an estimate of its uncertainty/error/confidence, but that’s a story for another day...

Peter

Many here may think you are joking but I know from translation of the ancient Sumerian cuneiform tablets which are some of the earliest records of human writing that we were genetically created as a slave race to mine minerals for an alien race that still influences us to this day.

What that has to do with binoculars I do not know.

Ancient Astronaut Theorist Say......"Use Good Glass"!!! :king:

Ted :D

Oh yeah. OK. :t: BTW what I wrote is true. And they have tablets with modern looking spacecraft on them. Now considering that every culture in history that I've ever heard of has had a creation mythology that basically says "we are the real deal, we are the chosen ones" I find it suspicious that the Sumerians state empathetically that they were created as slaves and if you look a bit further we owe much of modern civilization to what they supposedly discovered. Spooky stuff.

Ok back to our usual programming.

Ah too bad about weighty. I have painful neuropathy in my feet for which I take Opiate pain meds. I hike 5-7 miles a day in some kind of pain with each step. Every ounce counts. And size because I use hiking poles to keep some weight off my feet. Boy would I love that kind of FOV though.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back