• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon CP 4500 (1 Viewer)

I've been using the CP 4500 with the MC-EU1 remote cord for digiscoping. Sometimes while using the zoom control on the remote, the camera will zoom right up to max even though I have just touched the button once! It then freezes here and I can't zoom back out! Anybody else have this prob?

Not yet, but I'm still waiting for mine to arrive. If I find out that I've paid £100 for a wire with a button on the end and it DOESN'T EVEN WORK PROPERLY then someone's going to get their arse kicked and no mistake...

Al

Hi Fraser and welcome to BirdForum.

I've been using the CP 4500 with the MC-EU1 remote cord for digiscoping. Sometimes while using the zoom control on the remote, the camera will zoom right up to max even though I have just touched the button once! It then freezes here and I can't zoom back out! Anybody else have this prob?

I have this combination and although I know some people have reported this problem it is not one I have come across. Could be that the cable is not fully plugged in to the USB port on the 4500.

Good luck with the camera.

Don't buy this peace of Kit.
Al when it arrives send it back and get a refund.

I had one that didn't last a year and I loved it up till then, most people have had the same experience.
A bracket and a mechanical release is far more reliable and cheeper.

I will find previous threads on the subject for you.

Rich

Ive had the same problem with my remote control, half the time it doesn't even work properly, wish I'd kept my £100 quid !

Have had no problems with the cord as yet ? but was does happen now and again, is the camera will freeze, and not respond to any commands. I have to take the battery out and re-insert it then its ok.It has only happened, so far with the remote attached. Has anyone had this problem?.
regards Bill.....

Why the hell they dont provide a IR remote release like Canon have been doing on SLR's for years I dont know. Works really well, is wires free so no vibration at all transmitted to the camera, and they come with the camera as standard. If they cant squeeeze that into the body lets have the next best thing, a realese button threaded to take a remote release cable, or is that too retro?

Paul

Paul

Blinkin' flip. Now I'm having an anxiety attack. I really wish I'd read the huge number of posts about how unreliable this thing is before I ordered it (it arrived this afternoon).

The ONLY thing that made me buy it was the self-delusion that if it costs £100, it must be a totally fantastic bit of kit. But there's no way I'm keeping it after reading all this - I don't think I'll even unpack it. Thanks for all the warnings.

I don't really like the look of all the alternative meccano-type gadgets, so for the time being I reckon I'll do without and see how manual release (!) works, or even use the self-timer set to 2secs. Seems to me that the shutter-lag on the 4500 requires users to anticipate the best shot, so I'll just have to anticipate a bit more than most...

it's a real annoyance, since I've just returned a BARGAIN Canon G3 to the shop because of bad vignetting; the Canon is a far better general purpose camera, much cheaper, and as Paul points out above it comes with a FREE infra-red remote control.

Thanks again for all the advice. I reckon these threads should be put in a much more mainstream forum - when I was embarking on this spending-frenzy I never for a moment thought that the thing I'd have to do the most research about would be the bleedin' cable-release!

Al

I use the MC-EU1 remote every day. It is a bit cantankerous at times but I don't like my scope shaking around when I move the zoom or take a shot. When the zoom heads for the end, if you hit the button again it will stop. If it stops working I restart the camera. If the camera locks up I remove and reinstall the battery. It's not perfect but I've learned to deal with it. I feel that I can take better pictures faster with it than I can without it. I move my scope and focus with my left hand and zoom and click with my right. If I keep the battery fresh, I have fewer problems. I think Nikon could have done a better job but I would not want to go without it.

Bill

Fraser Milne said:

Fraser,
I have been using the MC-EU1 for about a year now and it is fine... but it did take time to get used to it. I have not had your problem so perhaps you got a bad one!!

George

Al Downie said:
Blinkin' flip. Now I'm having an anxiety attack. I really wish I'd read the huge number of posts about how unreliable this thing is before I ordered it (it arrived this afternoon).

The ONLY thing that made me buy it was the self-delusion that if it costs £100, it must be a totally fantastic bit of kit. But there's no way I'm keeping it after reading all this - I don't think I'll even unpack it. Thanks for all the warnings.

I don't really like the look of all the alternative meccano-type gadgets, so for the time being I reckon I'll do without and see how manual release (!) works, or even use the self-timer set to 2secs. Seems to me that the shutter-lag on the 4500 requires users to anticipate the best shot, so I'll just have to anticipate a bit more than most...

it's a real annoyance, since I've just returned a BARGAIN Canon G3 to the shop because of bad vignetting; the Canon is a far better general purpose camera, much cheaper, and as Paul points out above it comes with a FREE infra-red remote control.

Thanks again for all the advice. I reckon these threads should be put in a much more mainstream forum - when I was embarking on this spending-frenzy I never for a moment thought that the thing I'd have to do the most research about would be the bleedin' cable-release!

Al

Al.... panic not !!

It took me quite some time to get used to the Nikon remote but I am comfortable with it now and enjoy using it. The main issue I have is the socket into which the remote is placed on the camera... I am VERY (very) careful as I use the remote as I can see that a few years of use could cause slackness in this fitting.. as it is also used to download. Otherwise... enjoy !!

George

I have just purcahsed one, and can't get it to turn on. I press the illuminate LED button, but nothing. I am new to digiscoping, does it have to be plugged into the camera to work, I have changed batteries but nothing still. The only thing I have noticed is with the socket on the camera, it does not seem to fully insert. Do you need to push it flush into that socket, as there seems to be slight resistence. All help appreciated.

I thought I might have a duff unit.

MC-EU1 Start up

The arrow on the black part of the plug faces the rear of the camera and it slides in about 5mm, and yes it does have to be plugged in to work.
1. Plug it in
2. Turn on the camera and weight for the normal lens noise to stop.
3. Press the large button on the remote halfway down and hold for approx 2/3 seconds and the rear screen comes on.
It is a much slower process than I realised but it does work, you will also find that you need to press and hold the button each time the power save turns off the screen. I hope this helps.
PS. In the set up menu I have set auto off for 5 minutes, you may find the next thing you need is another battery or 2? good luck

jim

Last edited:
Fraser,

I have had this problem w/my MC-EU1 remote from time to time and my feeling is that the remote will “time out” if I do not continue some type of action w/the remote. The instructions that came w/the remote do not address this problem or if the remote will actually “go to sleep”. I turn the camera off, and then turn it on again and power up the monitor w/the shutter release button. This always solves my problem. Other than this, I have had no problems and am happy w/it.

Hope this helps.

Dick

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back