• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Essex Kingfishers (1 Viewer)

A new year and back at work! The good news is the kingfisher is still on Langdon lake. Ebws had reports of 2 over the holidays but never sure unless I see it for myself.

There are so many lakes there - but that takes some time to cover!
There are - but there's only one main fishing lake!!! It's the big one at the Fisheries in Chigborough Road, first on the left after you turn in from Goldhanger Road. It was at the end near the visitor hut.

The Kingfisher at Langdon lake, is warming to humans, it was perched in a tree just down from a fisherman, it then flew to the island and over to the opposite corner when disturbed by some noisy gulls. We found it taking cover in some bushes and it didn't fly off, it just moved higher up a tree.

The EBWS reports for 2 kingfisher at Langdon Lake, Dunton appear to be correct. We got photos of what appears to be a female kingfisher. This photo was taken at quite a distance away and is heavily cropped.

Attachments

• KF Langdon L Jan 2014.jpg
    KF Langdon L Jan 2014.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 126
I saw a Kingfisher in the stretch of water called The Sluice at Gloucester Park fishing lake today at 1245 for about 10 mins. The Sluice is at the western end of the lake. The bird flew from the east and perched up in willow near the brick wall. It then flew back east but disappeared although not flying too far. Some fisherman said that they hadn't seen a Kingfisher there for years. A Dunnock was also seen at the Sporting Village end of the park.

Last edited:
I saw a Kingfisher in the stretch of water called The Sluice at Gloucester Park fishing lake today at 1245 for about 10 mins. The Sluice is at the western end of the lake. The bird flew from the east and perched up in willow near the brick wall. It then flew back east but disappeared although not flying too far. Some fisherman said that they hadn't seen a Kingfisher there for years. A Dunnock was also seen at the Sporting Village end of the park.

Hi Vangerover - good to hear it's still there!! I saw it on the 20th December in the same spot, my sighting is further up this page. I shall have to take another look. Thanks for this.

Hi Vangerover - good to hear it's still there!! I saw it on the 20th December in the same spot, my sighting is further up this page. I shall have to take another look. Thanks for this.

Thank you, it was your information that put me on to the location. I had a spare hour whilst my wife was in the town so I went over there. It's a pity that you can only park at the Sporting Village because of that new development|:mad:|

best wishes
Terry

We'd not seen a kingfisher at Langdon Lake, NR for a couple weeks but finally saw one today. It flew from the sluice side to the island and then off round the island. We thought it had gone off elsewhere!! Also good to see was loads of blackbirds everywhere I looked, must have well into double figures, same for the number of tufted ducks on the lake.

Last edited:
13/02/14 - I'm on a bit of a role with my kingfisher sightings - last weeks sightings of a kingfisher in Essex on the Thursday, then one in Banbury on the Friday and a pair in Birmingham on the Sunday it was great to see my local Essex one again today. It was a quick sighting as it flew from the Langdon lake island to some bushes at the edge where my mate saw it through his bins. I then saw it in some bushes next to the path, before it flew off in the direction of the pond on the NR.

Last edited:
I saw one on Thursday too, flying upstream along the river at Central Park in Chelmsford, just at the viaducts. Always good to see one.

Good views of one at EWT Chafford Gorges on Thursday. Viewed from the pathway on the west bank looking back at the reeds under the path down from the visitor centre.

We have a regular one at Thames Chase,pike lane upminster.Seen most days on the brook or golf course pond reedbeds next to the brook or sometimes on the scrape the other side of the M25,perched on a large concrete outfall pipe that gives decent views

We have a regular one at Thames Chase,pike lane upminster.Seen most days on the brook or golf course pond reedbeds next to the brook or sometimes on the scrape the other side of the M25,perched on a large concrete outfall pipe that gives decent views

Yes I was interested to see this one reported on ebws. I shall take a look when the evenings get even more brighter and I can get over there in time. Also interested to know if it stays or goes for the breeding season.

Good views of one at EWT Chafford Gorges on Thursday. Viewed from the pathway on the west bank looking back at the reeds under the path down from the visitor centre.

Yeah, I visited last year and was lucky enough to see one fly past in the distance. Are they known to be resident?

I saw one on Thursday too, flying upstream along the river at Central Park in Chelmsford, just at the viaducts. Always good to see one.

Yeah, did you report this on Southend RSPB? I saw it reported there. I've visited Chelmsford a few times now to have a look for one but not got lucky. It's funny like that as other places I've checked out I've found one almost instantly or usually with some persistence.

Yeah, did you report this on Southend RSPB? I saw it reported there. I've visited Chelmsford a few times now to have a look for one but not got lucky. It's funny like that as other places I've checked out I've found one almost instantly or usually with some persistence.

I did indeed. Here it can be rather hit and miss with Kingfishers but they do turn up pretty often. You can rarely predict when you'll see one though.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back