• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mozambique October 2023 (1 Viewer)

Arbu

I went to Mozambique with a diving group for two weeks. The dive locations we stayed at were Vilankulos, Tofo Beach and Ponta do Ouro. You can fly to the first two, and the latter is not far from Maputo. Birding was reasonably easy to fit in around the diving with some quite good locations close to each town. All the locals were very friendly, and I felt comfortable enough walking around alone with my binoculars and camera with large lens - something which I'm not so sure I could say had I been in South Africa. I saw 109 species of bird, of which 22 were new for me. Also 120 species of fish, six species of mammal, three of turtle, seven species of shark and four rays. So a good all round wildlife trip. More committed birders would probably make it to Panda woodlands, although I found that it was going to be a bit hard to get there from Tofo Beach, the closest place we went. No doubt the north of the country has a lot of the most interesting birds, but it's harder to get to and not safe in parts.

Bird photos here:
Media Search - Macaulay Library and eBird

Other sightings here.

Do please let me know if any of the IDs look wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back