• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

which gull, Sea Ranch, California, 11 Oct 2018 (1 Viewer)

Doc Duck

Hi experts! I left my big field guide at home to economize on luggage weight, and my sister-in-law's field guide here doesn't show all the gull plumages, so we need a bit of help identifying the raft of gulls we saw off shore this afternoon. The birds were pretty far off and the light wasn't great (hazy, foggy day), but hopefully this one image is clear enough and shows enough critical details for a gull expert to put a name to it ...? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• DSC_0108 (2).JPG
    DSC_0108 (2).JPG
    283.5 KB · Views: 72
Pale window on inner primaries = immature American Herring Gull for me. They are just starting to arrive; bicolored bill okay. Western Gull has heavier all black bill at this stage. Glaucous Gull very much paler wingtips, rare here not usually arriving until December. California Gull lacks the pale window on the inner primaries.

There you go...the experts are here now. Maybe I shouldn't comment on Gulls from other countries that I am unfamiliar with.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back