• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

County Galway Birding (local patch) (1 Viewer)

Hi all

First posting here. Just to let you know I had two colour ringed Black-headed Gulls at Nimmo's last Saturday - 222H and 201H. Both from the Lough Mask ringing scheme. Dermot

Do you mean this one Dermot? Good to hear from you

ATB

Paul

Attachments

• BH Gull  1w Nimmos Pier Galway 170208 Imgp7868.jpg
    BH Gull 1w Nimmos Pier Galway 170208 Imgp7868.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 188
BirdWatch Galway's programme of events for March
Saturday 1st March, 10:30AM: Short outing with Tim Griffin, Nimmo's Pier, Galway City.
Saturday 8th March: Galway Bay Count. Contact Chris Peppiatt (086) 3125356 for details.
Wednesday 12th March, 8:00PM: Members meeting, Anno Santo Hotel, Threadneedle Road, Salthill.
Friday 14th March, 8:00PM: Talk entitled "South Africa- a beat about the bush" by John Carey, Anno Santo Hotel, Threadneedle Road, Salthill.

Dermot
Have you tried the hide at ROSTAFF LAKE.
Of the hides that you have visited on your travels which one is the best.
Has anyone else come across the perfect hide.

Had a quick day and a half trip to Nimmo's Pier last weekend, due to lack of time I didn't really go anywhere but the pier itself but this is what I saw :

American Herring Gull - 1st-w on the slipway early 23rd, then on the field in the afternoon. 1st-w and ad both apparently at the docks morning of 24th but I didn't get round there.

Ring-billed Gull - 1 or 2 ads seen variously on the slipway, over the other side of the river and on the field.

Glaucous Gull - 1 ad on the slipway early afternoon 23rd.

Iceland Gull - 2 ads and at least 6 1st-w on the slipway throughout. At least another 6 1st-winters in the docks on the afternoon of the 23rd. 2nd-w on the slipway afternoon 23rd.

Little Gull - 1 ad w east of the pier on the rocks afternoon of 23rd.

Lesser black-backed gull - just 1, an ad, on the slipway afternoon of 23rd.

The Surf Scoter was also reported on the 23rd and I believe the Forster's Tern was seen on the 24th.

That's 10 species of gull I've now photographed at Nimmo's Pier - any chance of a Ross's next year?

Hi Tom

Was at Rostaff years ago but didn't see a hide when I was there. Had a quick look for it there last winter but couldn't find it. Would have to say the best hide I've been in would have to be the hide at the RSPB Belfast Harbour Estate. Heating and everything! I've also been on high towers overlooking reed fringed lakes in Sweden, very handy.

Dermot

Great gull list there Clive.

Heard of of two female Surf Scoters off Nimmos today but that is all I can add. Does anybody know anything about this?

RE. Best Hides, I read about a purpose built sea watching hide in NE England. Now that would be nice. Think the place was Whitburn but don't quote me on that.

News
Two female Surf Scoters were seen of Nimmo's Pier today by 4 visiting birders. Tim Griffin had them this evening half along the beach between the pier and the causeway.

Clive
Great to get your report on your visit. Any chance of you posting a few photos.

Dermot
Heating and everything does not sound like real birding dude. The Hide at Rostaff is well hidden. It is a timber shed. When your driving down the road and you see the abbey ruins in front of you the road widens to a sort of grave car park. Just as it widens the hide is on the left. Step over the stile. I don't think there is an heating except solar during the summer.

News
Two female Surf Scoters were seen of Nimmo's Pier today by 4 visiting birders. Tim Griffin had them this evening half along the beach between the pier and the causeway.

Bugger. I didn't even get onto the beach on Saturday, such was the ferocity of the southwesterly. I'll try and sort out some photos but it won't be for a few days at least.

The Surfies were still there this afternoon up to around half five at least. Well done to whoever spotted them initially.

Also a BF tick for me this afternoon in the form of Tom Cuffe who picked out the Forster's Tern perched on a rock along Claddagh beach.

3 Sandwich Terns nearby as well.

Nice mix of waders on beach with over 100 Barwits among them.

Tom/Brosna good to meet up with you also.

A few photos taken this evening

Attachments

• DSCN1596 280208 bf.jpg
    DSCN1596 280208 bf.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 193
  • DSCN1599 280208 bf.jpg
    DSCN1599 280208 bf.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 172
  • DSCN1611 280208.jpg
    DSCN1611 280208.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 178
Hi All

List of birds seen yesterday on Nimmo's Pier, which I think is the same as Brendan's list as I was trying to do it from memory. Also birds seen earlier in the morning. Good turn out.

Sandpiper was taken today at the docks. Both American Herring Gulls were also there.

Tom

Iceland Gull
Common Gull
Black-headed Gull
Ring-billed Gull
Little Gull
Lesser-black-backed Gull
Herring Gull
Turnstone
Redshank
Surf Scoter
Feral Pigeon
Mute Swan
Brent Geese
Chaffinch
Bar-tailed Godwit
Red-throated Diver
Razorbill
Cormorant
Dunlin
Ringed Plover
Wigeon
Merganser
Great-crested Grebe
Mallard
Jackdaw
Black-throated Diver (possible)
Oystercatcher

Earlier birds
Glaucous Gull
American Herring Gull
Forster’s Tern
Rock Pipit
Pied Wagtail
Linnet
Great Black-backed Gull

Attachments

• DSC01581-all.gif
    DSC01581-all.gif
    235.4 KB · Views: 175
  • DSCN1646 group.jpg
    DSCN1646 group.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 195
  • DSCN1636 010308.jpg
    DSCN1636 010308.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 177
  • DSC1672 020308 bf.jpg
    DSC1672 020308 bf.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 173
  • DSC1687 020308 bf.jpg
    DSC1687 020308 bf.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
Hi All

List of birds seen yesterday on Nimmo's Pier, which I think is the same as Brendan's list as I was trying to do it from memory. Also birds seen earlier in the morning. Good turn out.

Sandpiper was taken today at the docks. Both American Herring Gulls were also there.

Tom

Iceland Gull
Common Gull
Black-headed Gull
Ring-billed Gull
Little Gull
Lesser-black-backed Gull
Herring Gull
Turnstone
Redshank
Surf Scoter
Feral Pigeon
Mute Swan
Brent Geese
Chaffinch
Bar-tailed Godwit
Red-throated Diver
Razorbill
Cormorant
Dunlin
Ringed Plover
Wigeon
Merganser
Great-crested Grebe
Mallard
Jackdaw
Black-throated Diver (possible)
Oystercatcher

Earlier birds
Glaucous Gull
American Herring Gull
Forster’s Tern
Rock Pipit
Pied Wagtail
Linnet
Great Black-backed Gull

Tom, was coming on the thread to query how news can come through today on Birdguides from Nimmo's but yet no mention of the AHG's?

I then noticed you had them yesterday (1/3), but they've not been reported on BG since 27/2. Not having a pop - just wondered if you guys were getting blase with them now?

If you are send one over here please!

On a serious note, as contemplating a trip over, are they (or at least the juvenile) daily ticks?

Steve
Had both the 1st winter and the adult AGH this morning. The 1st winter is a daily tick at the docks. The adult more allusive. I always report to BINS.

BG reports are normally done by visiting birders.
Tom

Attachments

• DSC1648 020308 bf.jpg
    DSC1648 020308 bf.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 168
  • DSC01614 020308 bf.jpg
    DSC01614 020308 bf.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 171
Had about 30 mins at Nimmo's today. The juv American Herring Gull was present this morning with the usual numbers of Iceland Gulls, Ring-billed Gull and 2 Little Gulls.

Some visiting birders had a 2nd winter Kumliens Gull on Sunday at the slipway. Which I think is stumpy see photo below taken on the 17 Feb 08. Check out Richard Bonsers site for pics.
http://www.freewebs.com/richbonser/recentphotographs.htm
Richard also as an article on his trips to Ireland.
http://www.freewebs.com/richbonser/irelandinwinter.htm

Had a report of White fronted geese at Rahasane yesterday. Anyone got any updates on this? Whats the water levels like at Rahasane.

Attachments

• DSC01747 040308 .jpg
    DSC01747 040308 .jpg
    46 KB · Views: 147
  • DSC01814 040308.jpg
    DSC01814 040308.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 163
  • DSC1728 040308.jpg
    DSC1728 040308.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 152
  • DSCN1569 170208.jpg
    DSCN1569 170208.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 152
Nimmos/Docks

Got a bit of time to get out while over in Galway over last couple of days. Thanks to Tom for info on precise whereabouts of birds!

Some nice birds knocking around: AHG - Docks (Juv only; no sign of adult); c.15 Iceland gulls;
2 1st winter Glaucous; 2 Surf Scoters (near causeway); 1 Foster's tern; 3 Sandwich terns; 2 Little gulls (with BHGs in flow) and a couple of adult Ring-billed Gulls. Also an interesting gull with yellow legs that I need to look at further.

Some shots attached:

Attachments

• Docks2060308 copy.jpg
    Docks2060308 copy.jpg
    268.2 KB · Views: 161
  • RBG2060308 copy.jpg
    RBG2060308 copy.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_3852 copy.jpg
    IMG_3852 copy.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_3754.jpg
    IMG_3754.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_3474.jpg
    IMG_3474.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 176
Great gull list there Clive.

Heard of of two female Surf Scoters off Nimmos today but that is all I can add. Does anybody know anything about this?

RE. Best Hides, I read about a purpose built sea watching hide in NE England. Now that would be nice. Think the place was Whitburn but don't quote me on that.
Hi yes you are right Whitburn is part of my local patch and there is a seawatching hide .But we dont do as well for seabirds as you guys do over in Ireland.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back