• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mostly Scotland (1 Viewer)

AlanR

Bird photographer
United Kingdom
This will be about a week in Scotland but I'm not a great driver so I took things slowly. After a lunch stop at Martin Mere, I stopped overnight at Walney Island on the way. Coming back, I took a diversion cross-country to Bridlington for a visit to Bempton.
This first entry just covers Martin Mere on the first day of the Journey. I am a great WWT fan and I always look forward to Martin Mere, in particular for the Tree Sparrows (which were there in plenty).
It's not the best time of year for waterfowl and waders but I spotted a fair number of species to get my holiday list off the ground. There were breeding Shelduck and Avocet. (Avocet are very rare in my Gloucestershire locality.)
I was hoping for Little (Ringed) Plover, a species I have so far missed this year and I was lucky enough to be shown a nesting pair not too far from the hide.
But the high point for me (perhaps the best spot of the holiday) was a Tawny Owl, a lifetime first for me. A large red-brown shape disappeared as I came to some trees - but a few yards later there it was looking down at me. I had just a few seconds for one photo, nearly in focus, before it flew off. I was so excited I reported it as a sighting to the staff there. [Of course, they knew all about it. A pair are nesting there and three young ones are often seen!]
Not many pictures I'm afraid - a young Moorhen, a Pheasant, one of the more colourful Pigeons and the Tawny Owl.
Alan
(More reports will come as I sort through th erest of 500 photographs taken.)

Attachments

• Moorhen1_MartinMere_15Jun09.JPG
    Moorhen1_MartinMere_15Jun09.JPG
    185.6 KB · Views: 81
  • Pheasant_MartinMere_15June09.JPG
    Pheasant_MartinMere_15June09.JPG
    283.6 KB · Views: 84
  • Pigeon1_MartinMere_15June09.JPG
    Pigeon1_MartinMere_15June09.JPG
    185.3 KB · Views: 64
  • TawnyOwl_MartinMere_15Jun09.JPG
    TawnyOwl_MartinMere_15Jun09.JPG
    211.4 KB · Views: 124
Walney

Day one ended at Walney Island. I arrived at 4:30 to discover that the reserve opened from 10:00 to 5:00! So just a brief visit in the evening and a wait the next day.
I used the early morning to look at the western coast of the island. The open moor/ dune area was very good for Skylarks and Meadow Pipits and I also spotted a lone Stonechat. Some way off at sea I added Cormorant to my list. (No pictures of any of these.)
At the South Walney reserve I took the long walk, definitely a new experience walking amongst breeding gulls - who don't have the sense to keep away from paths! Under advice, I took a large cane to hold vertically overhead - this deterred the gulls from close contact but did not stop the noise, and it it made photography a bit more difficult.
Most gulls were Lesser Black Backed with some Herring Gulls. I had some brief glances of eggs and chicks on the ground but I didn't stop! Round the other side of the walk were Great Black Backed. Rather than walking through increasing numbers of viciferous parents I retraced my steps back to the car park.
In addition the gulls there were many Oystercatchers on the beaches, some breeding Eider Duck and the odd goose - Canada Goose, Barnacle Goose and a couple of Emperor Geese. (Apparently a known group of about a dozen had escaped from somewhere. The picture is not very good unfortunately.)
Three hides at the end of the island produced little - apart from the Swallow that posed in front of me for some time, unaware of my presence. At the farthest hide I was told I might see Common, Arctic, Sandwich and Little terns - but I saw none. I'm not sure where I was supposed to be looking.
So, on to the next drive, ending the day at Ayr for a week.
(Watch this space!)
Alan

Attachments

• LBBGull2_Walney_15Jun09.JPG
    LBBGull2_Walney_15Jun09.JPG
    195.4 KB · Views: 77
  • Herring2_Walney_15Jun09.JPG
    Herring2_Walney_15Jun09.JPG
    178.9 KB · Views: 81
  • EiderF_Walney_15Jun09.JPG
    EiderF_Walney_15Jun09.JPG
    193.7 KB · Views: 77
  • Emperor_Walney_16Jun09.JPG
    Emperor_Walney_16Jun09.JPG
    169.6 KB · Views: 84
  • Swallow1_Walney_16Jun09.JPG
    Swallow1_Walney_16Jun09.JPG
    173 KB · Views: 99
Ayr at Last

On Tuesday (- that's 16 June) I finally reached Ayr, a seaside town but not the same as Western-Super-Mare or Southen-on-Sea.
I stayed there for six nights and spent many hours wandering round the promenade, the harbour and the river Ayr. So notes and pictures are not all strictly chronological for the next few entries.
There were Gulls around the town and its environs and Black Guillemots in the Harbour - of which more later. The lower end of the River Ayr, passing through the town, always had large numbers of Mute Swans and a few Cormorants. Fortunately there were points where the Cormorants could dry out on nearby rocks knowing they were inaccessible and so safe.
Pictures today are:
The River Ayr and its first Bridge from the harbour area;
The street where I stayed, showing its proximity to the sea;
Two shots of a Cormorant in the river (two days apart but perhaps the same bird);
The best shot I managed of a Black-headed Gull - at the Westmoreland Motorway Services on the way up North!
Alan
(I'm still working through the photos.)

Attachments

• AyrBridge_18Jun09.JPG
    AyrBridge_18Jun09.JPG
    148.4 KB · Views: 87
  • AyrSea_21Jun09.JPG
    AyrSea_21Jun09.JPG
    162.8 KB · Views: 79
  • Cormorant1_Ayr_16Jun09.JPG
    Cormorant1_Ayr_16Jun09.JPG
    208.4 KB · Views: 83
  • Cormorant3_Ayr_18Jun09.JPG
    Cormorant3_Ayr_18Jun09.JPG
    190.1 KB · Views: 102
  • BHGull_Westmoreland_16Jun09.JPG
    BHGull_Westmoreland_16Jun09.JPG
    184.2 KB · Views: 89
Guillemots and Gulls

Guillemots:
I had heard that Black Guillemots breed at Ayr Harbour so I wandered that way on my first evening. All I saw on the rocks were Gulls and Shag but I did catch some dark shapes flying fast and low over the harbour waters - my first Black Guillemots of the week.
Later I found how to get round to the other side of the harbour. I still couldn't see where they breed. (I presume it's inside the harbour walls.) I managed several good sightings here and some record shots but they never came up to me and posed! I also saw these birds at Ardrossan, at Brodick in the Isle of Arran and more openly swimming in the River Ayr.
Gulls:
Not everyone's favourite but I do like Gulls at the seaside. At least you can get near to them. At Ayr and along the coast There were lots of Herring Gulls and Lesser Black-backed Gulls. (I wouldn't like to comment on which was more common.) I did notice (a) most of the ones resting or roosting inland, e.g. on the River Ayr, were juveniles, (b) Herring Gulls seem less worried by the proximity of humans than LBB.
At some points during the week I saw a few Black-headed Gulls but I was surprised at the end of my stay to spot a Great Black-backed Gull in the River. I only looked at it because it was resting on a large tree trunk which made an interesting shot. But its definitely pink legs mark it as GBB.
Photos: (1) Black Guillemot (2) Herring and LBB Gulls by the seaside posing together (3) Herring Gull (4) Juvenile Herring Gull (5) Great BB Gull.
Alan
(I should get through the rest of the holiday by next weekend!)

Attachments

• BlackGuilli2_Ayr_18Jun09.JPG
    BlackGuilli2_Ayr_18Jun09.JPG
    259.1 KB · Views: 105
  • LBB+Herring_Ayr_21Jun09.JPG
    LBB+Herring_Ayr_21Jun09.JPG
    187.6 KB · Views: 88
  • Herring5_Ayr_21Jun09.JPG
    Herring5_Ayr_21Jun09.JPG
    179.5 KB · Views: 81
  • Herring4_Ayr_21Jun09.JPG
    Herring4_Ayr_21Jun09.JPG
    209 KB · Views: 74
  • GBBGull_Ayr_21Jun09.JPG
    GBBGull_Ayr_21Jun09.JPG
    170 KB · Views: 89
Along the Coast

I arrived on the Tuesday and my first day, Wednesday, started very wet and windy. I started with a list of possible sites by ended up stopping almost everywhere possible along the coast.
First stop a few miles North, Troon Harbour. Still wet and windy. At Troon I saw lots of Gulls and a large group of mostly male Eider sheltering in the harbour. After five minutes of this I headed for cover and a very nice coffee in the marina. With my birdwatchers alertness I faced over the marina and with my binoculars spotted the first Gannets of the holiday, flying very near to land. I was beginning to think that bad weather has some advantages for birdwatching - at least it brings birds in towards land for shelter.
I headed South, pausing at a few places for brief, rainy stops. Typically along the coast were Gulls, Eider, Shag and Oystercatcher - mostly not near enough (or still enough) for good pictures.
I went as far as Stranraer, a real ornithological disappointment - just Gulls, Oystercatchers, Rooks, Crows, Jackdaws, Sparrows and Pigeons. But I did see my first Song Thrush of the week.
Back northwards, with more opportunities for stops and much improved weather. Lendalfoot was the best for good views of Shag, Eider and diving Gannet. Unfortunately the rocks where Shag dried themselves out were much further away than the Cormorants on the river Ayr.
Girvan was disappointing, and I failed to find any way to get to Ailsa Crag while I was there. (Sailings were fully booked or cancelled because of high winds.) I did briefly spot a Common Seal in the harbour.
I had more or less covered all the seaside sites in one day but there were plenty of other places to plan the rest of my week at Ayr ...
Alan
Pictures - female Eider; male Eider; Gannets; Shag drying out; Common Sandpiper.

Attachments

• Eider1_Ayr_17Jun09.JPG
    Eider1_Ayr_17Jun09.JPG
    235.5 KB · Views: 72
  • Eider2_Ayr_17Jun09.JPG
    Eider2_Ayr_17Jun09.JPG
    245.4 KB · Views: 82
  • Gannets1_Lendalfoot_20Jun09.JPG
    Gannets1_Lendalfoot_20Jun09.JPG
    148.5 KB · Views: 73
  • Shag_Lendalfoot_17Jun09.JPG
    Shag_Lendalfoot_17Jun09.JPG
    208.6 KB · Views: 73
  • CommonSandpiper_Lendalfoot_17Jun09.JPG
    CommonSandpiper_Lendalfoot_17Jun09.JPG
    234.1 KB · Views: 85
A Walk Around the Environs of Ayr

After the long drives of the previous three days I gave the car a rest and walked round for the day. It was mostly dry with some very light showers but very windy.
It started with a walk along the promenade to Doonfoot. It was so windy I felt as if I was leaning at 45 degrees into the wind just to keep upright. Whenever I saw a little bird in the dunes it flew up and was blown half a mile away before I could identify it!
At the mouth (or foot!) of the Doon lots of birds were sheltering offshore, groups of Mute Swan, Oystercatcher and various Gulls. There were some Gannets in flight and I spotted a couple of Sandwich Terns.
Turning to follow the river upstream, protected a little from the wind, I saw my first Scottish Mallards and, a little further on, a small group of Goosander.
I walked on to Alloway, birthplace of Burns, and the Brig o Doon. Here I spotted a Dipper which proved very difficult to photograph and sampled my first Scottish scone - definitely worth all that driving! (The scone, that is, and the Dipper) I was also seeing for the first time in Scotland some more common birds such as Dunnock, Wren, Robin and Chaffinch, and I disturbed a Kestrel on a lamp-post.
Walking back into Ayr via Roselle and Belleisle Parks I added Moorhen and Woodpigeon to my lists. Back at Ayr I had a saw the yellow flash of a Grey Wagtail pass me and disappear out of sight in the river bank.
Not a good day for pictures. Here is a very poor Dipper shot and the plaque on the thatched cottage which is the Birthplace of Burns. Not really fitting here, but also a shot of yesterday's Seal and a Starling from Ayr. Why are seaside towns always reliable for Starlings?!
Alan
(I have added a picture of another Song Thrush from Belleisle Park.)

Attachments

• Dipper_Alloway_18June09.JPG
    Dipper_Alloway_18June09.JPG
    193.3 KB · Views: 80
  • Burns_Alloway_18Jun09.JPG
    Burns_Alloway_18Jun09.JPG
    207.6 KB · Views: 89
  • Seal_Girvan_17Jun09.JPG
    Seal_Girvan_17Jun09.JPG
    150.9 KB · Views: 84
  • Starling_Ayr_16Jun09.JPG
    Starling_Ayr_16Jun09.JPG
    236.5 KB · Views: 85
  • Thrush_Ayr_18Jun09.JPG
    Thrush_Ayr_18Jun09.JPG
    281.4 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
The Isle of Arran

I had been putting off my day to Arran hoping for better weather so I went on the Friday which was more or less dry. (Still very cloudy.) I drove to Ardrossan and bought my ticket - taking the cheaper and lazier option of leaving the car behind. I was surprised to see the odd Black Guillemot at Ardrossan Harbour.
For the crossing I took up my place outside expecting to sea lots of other birders. But it was just me and the inevitable band of hardy smokers!
I probably hoped for more but the crossing at least brough a few Manx Shearwater flying over the water. Apart from one or two Gannets the crossing was virtually birdless.
Busses on Arran basically go from Brodick, the port of arrival, to Blackwaterfoot on the other side by three different routes and then come back. For the time I was there I could just fit in one (long) stop so I aimed to circumnavigate in an anticlockwise direction. The Northern coastal route was mostly very near the sea I saw many of the inevitable birds - Gulls and Oystercatchers.
At Blackwaterfoot I checked out the beach before lunch spotting several Ringed Plover and a bird I now expected to see by the seaside, a Pied Wagtail. Also when I looked more closely I could see that the Gulls here (and probably all the others on the island) were Common or Mew Gulls.
After lunch I walked up the coast to the Golf Club (and another coffee stop). I saw several Rock Pipit, a Grey Heron and a single Curlew flying over.
After coffee at the Golf Club I saw one of my main target birds for the island - Hooded Crow. The pair stayed just long enough for a picture before flying off. These birds are much more wary than Carrion Crows.
The plan was to come back via the South route but I got on the wrong bus and went back the way I had come. I slept through most of the journey so it didn't make much difference. I did manage to stay awake for the drive back to Ayr!
Photos show Hooded Crow, Ringed Plover, Rock Pipit, Mew Gull and Oystercatcher.
Alan

Attachments

• HoodedCrow_Arran_19Jun09.JPG
    HoodedCrow_Arran_19Jun09.JPG
    269.4 KB · Views: 96
  • RingedPlover2_Arran_19Jun09.JPG
    RingedPlover2_Arran_19Jun09.JPG
    209.9 KB · Views: 78
  • RockPipit2_Arran_19Jun09.JPG
    RockPipit2_Arran_19Jun09.JPG
    243.3 KB · Views: 77
  • MewGull1_Arran_19Jun09.JPG
    MewGull1_Arran_19Jun09.JPG
    223.1 KB · Views: 85
  • Oyster_Arran_19Jun09.JPG
    Oyster_Arran_19Jun09.JPG
    261.1 KB · Views: 96
Loch Doon

With two days to go at Ayr I headed inland and uphill to Loch Doon. I think my rather thin local birding knowledge was getting thinner and I hoped the Loch might be home to some Waterfowl and Waders.
My first stop by the shore of the loch was an impressive view - but there were no birds on it. Where I stopped there were several Swallows flying around, often resting just by the road. I soon spotted a Sand Martin and a couple of Wheaters, given away by the noise they kept making. I took quite a long walk into the forest here where there were lots of woodland birds and warblers. If I was any good at identifying birdsong I would be able to be more specific!
I moved on, driving round the lake. Swallows were common (and had been for most of my stay in Scotland), also Wheatears and Meadow Pipits. I managed to spot a single Goldcrest.
Having checked my birding notes the night before I continued on to Ballantrae at the mouth of the River Stinchar. My notes, and local maps, showed a long spit of land protected by the River where Common, Arctic, Sandwich and Little Terns should be numerous. But things have changed. I met someone there who told me that the river has moved about half a mile and the protected Reserve is no more.
This is the only point of my week in Ayrshire where I met any other birders. Spending some time there we spotted only about ten Terns and a few Ringed Plovers. They were Common Terns, possibly including one Arctic. I have to admit to being a bit disappointed. Not a good day for pictures - see attached Swallow shot and a very poor Wheatear
I came back along the coast with odd stop for Shag, Eider, Gannets etc.
Alan
(One more day at Ayr before the long trip home.)

Attachments

• Swallow1_LochDoon_20Jun09.JPG
    Swallow1_LochDoon_20Jun09.JPG
    183.5 KB · Views: 64
  • Wheatear_LochDoon_20Jun09.JPG
    Wheatear_LochDoon_20Jun09.JPG
    209.8 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Last Day at Ayr

I found a few little sites for Sunday, starting with Loch Trabboch which I really enjoyed. At last some Canada Geese and Coot but lots of easily identifiable small passerines. Several Willow Warbler and Reed Bunting and dozens of Sedge Warbler. I spent some time scanning carefully for Reed Warbler but all those I looked at were Sedge. Also here I watched a Buzzard, seen off by a couple of Crows. Picture #1 - Sedge Warbler.
A very short trip from here brought me to Stair. I found my way down to the River where I watched a Dipper for some time. Picture #2 - Dipper, not a good shot but much better than my attempts at Alloway.
Another short drive brought me to Loch Tarbolton. From the maps this looks like a few small lakes dredged from a large area of marshland to provide opportunities for anglers. More Canada Goose here. Also Mute Swan, Swallow, House Martin, Sedge Warbler, Reed Bunting, Pied Wagtail and the only Blue Tit and Great Tit I saw in Scotland - in the same tree! Picture #3 - Canada Geese at Tarbolton.
Finally a trip to the coast to Barassie, which I had somehow missed on my trips up and down. Nothing unexpected here but more Shag, Eider and Ringed Plover. Also a Grey Heron and another Curlew flew over. Pictures #4 and 5 - Ringed Plover and Grey Heron.
A good day to end my visit to Ayr.
Alan
(2 more entries to come.)

Attachments

• SedgeWarbler_Traboch_21Jun09.JPG
    SedgeWarbler_Traboch_21Jun09.JPG
    240.2 KB · Views: 87
  • Dipper_Stair_21Jun09.JPG
    Dipper_Stair_21Jun09.JPG
    181.8 KB · Views: 84
  • Tarbolton_21Jun09.JPG
    Tarbolton_21Jun09.JPG
    109.1 KB · Views: 89
  • RingedPlover_Barassie_21Jun09.JPG
    RingedPlover_Barassie_21Jun09.JPG
    214.2 KB · Views: 86
  • Heron_Barassie_21Jun09.JPG
    Heron_Barassie_21Jun09.JPG
    200.6 KB · Views: 80
Journey Home

It’s a long way from Cheltenham to Ayr. I had planned the way up via Martin Mere and South Walney but the way back was a bit of a last minute decision. I put Bempton into my GPS routing software and it came out not so far from half way. I’m really glad I went there.
I don’t like long drives and have to I stop every hour or so to keep awake. I set the alarm for 7:00 am. and then woke at 5:45. I was on the road by 6 am. After driving for about 250 miles with just three stops I reached the Bempton RSPB site at about 2:00 and decided to visit the site that afternoon. I expected a little view platform where half a dozen people could watch a few hundred sea birds. I found about a dozen view points spread over a mile or so, hundreds of birders and tens of thousands of birds!
I had five target birds. Kittiwakes and Razorbills were there in vast numbers (as were Gannets, not my list as I had soon lots in Scotland). Guillemots were there in hundreds but often it took a bit of looking to distinguish them from Razorbills. Puffin numbers were very low. The first one was pointed out for me some way down the cliff edge and I saw maybe half a dozen all told. I was really lucky that a Fulmar in flight was pointed out for me as it as the only one I saw.
I saw my five birds in a few minutes but I stayed for a couple hours visiting the various cliff viewing areas. As well as sea birds there were lots of Skylarks and Meadow Pipits and a bright yellow Yellowhammer near to the site entrance.
I stayed overnight at Bridlington with a lot of begging Herring Gulls and Pigeons and drove home the next day.
Alan
(Photos: Gannet, Kittiwake, Razorbill, Guillemot and Puffin)

Attachments

• Gannet4_Bempton_22Jun099.JPG
    Gannet4_Bempton_22Jun099.JPG
    213.1 KB · Views: 78
  • Kittiwake_Bempton_22Jun09.JPG
    Kittiwake_Bempton_22Jun09.JPG
    179.2 KB · Views: 85
  • Razorbill_Bempton_22Jun09.JPG
    Razorbill_Bempton_22Jun09.JPG
    213.1 KB · Views: 82
  • Guillemot_Bempton_22Jun09.JPG
    Guillemot_Bempton_22Jun09.JPG
    285 KB · Views: 100
  • Puffin_Bempton_22Jun09.JPG
    Puffin_Bempton_22Jun09.JPG
    224.4 KB · Views: 95
Final Thoughts

Why did I go to Ayr?
A bit of a long story. I take the odd coach trip to the coast for birdwatching as it’s really cheap. I looked at the holidays offered by the coach firm and a holiday in Ayrshire and the Isle of Arran for this week looked a good birding opportunity. I booked my place but not many others did and the trip was cancelled. In a moment of madness I thought I could do the same thing. I checked out some possible birding sites in the area and then booked my own B&B. At least I could break up the journey with stops on the way.
Was is a Good Holiday?
It was a good birdwatching holiday but not a really great one. I never got to visit Ailsa Crag and missed out on Red Grouse, Black Grouse and Golden Eagle. But I did get to see about 80 species including 14 year ticks and the Bempton visit made up for missing Ailsa.
Positives
It didn’t rain that much and the driving (1500 miles) was much netter than it could have been. The environs of Ayr are very pleasant with great landscapes and seascapes and I never got bored.
Negatives
I could have done with better weather! I don’t think I saw the sun and a bit of sun might have made photography a bit easier.
Will I do it Again?
Quite possibly but with some changes. It was so easy to book B&B. I could have stayed at more than one location - perhaps with a few days on Arran, or further North.
It has been fun doing this report. Thanks for reading.
Alan
(I couldn’t resist adding some shots of my favourite birds, the corvids.)

Attachments

• Crows_Ayrshire_21Jun09.JPG
    Crows_Ayrshire_21Jun09.JPG
    192 KB · Views: 79
  • Jackdaw_Ayr_21Jun09.JPG
    Jackdaw_Ayr_21Jun09.JPG
    181.9 KB · Views: 80
  • Rook1_Ayr_21Jun09.JPG
    Rook1_Ayr_21Jun09.JPG
    200 KB · Views: 74
  • Rook2_Ayr_21Jun09.JPG
    Rook2_Ayr_21Jun09.JPG
    186.7 KB · Views: 92
Hi Alan,
Thanks for this account, it made interesting reading. I'll be visiting Campbeltown in September. While my wife follows up some family history, I hope to get some interesting birds. I visited Bempton Cliffs in the 70's and they were exellent.
Cheers, Pete

Just a comment on mileage. I log my own birding miles in my notebook and I find about 1500 miles on a week in Speyside or Ardnamurchan is typical (starting from Hampshire). In either of those two Scottish locations you are likely to see more of the Scottish specialities including those you feel you missed out on during your trip.

If your driving on this was just about manageable you might be able to do similar mileage for more result.

John

I would definitely recommend Speyside in June, loads to see and the midges aren't fully awake!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back