• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Peregrine decline puzzles experts (1 Viewer)

DaveN

Derwent Valley Birder
The peregrine falcon is extinct as a breeding species in Shetland, according to research.
A study by the British Trust for Ornithology (BTO) during 2002 suggests there has been a significant decline in peregrines in northern and western Scotland.

Experts are puzzled at the decline in the Highlands and Argyll, where numbers have fallen by 30% since the last survey in 1991.

Food shortages, unproductive moorland, changing weather and the effects of pesticides in the food chain are all thought to have contributed to the fall in numbers.

The peregrine falcon population has increased in southern parts of Scotland and England.

Research needed

It is estimated there were 1,402 pairs of peregrines breeding in the UK and the Isle of Man in 2002 - a 9% increase on 1991.

But northern Scotland has lost most of its falcon population and experts say they need more time to find out why this is the case.

The Scottish Raptor Monitoring Group (SRMG) has begun a review of the species in Scotland.

Professor Des Thompson, chair of SRMG, said it was too early to explain the decline.

'Barometer of health'

He said: "We are very concerned to learn of the losses in the north and west of Scotland.

"Clearly we need more research to try to discover the reasons behind the differing fortunes of peregrines in different parts of Scotland."

RSPB Scotland's Duncan Orr-Ewing said the species serves as "a barometer of the environment's health" and any decline is worrying.

The first survey into the UK's peregrine falcon population took place in 1961 and has been repeated every decade since.

RSPB Scotland and Scottish Natural Heritage (SNH) both contributed to the survey.

Elsewhere in the UK, north Wales suffered a 15% decline in its peregrine population while Northern Ireland has witnessed a 12% fall.

Billy Boy

This is really disturbing as the news everywhere else is good. Peregrines are appearing more and more here in Derbyshire, with even cooling towers being used for nests.
Holiday in New Forest provided a pair nesting on a pylon quarter of a mile from the motorway, and succesfully raising chicks!
Hope someone gets the research rolling.

Very bad news, let's hope we can do something about the decline before we reach the dreadful ages of post war Britain.
Welcome to Birdforum Daniel, I hope you will find some more cheery threads on your subsequent visits.

Although anectdotal I feel that Peregrine numbers are rising in eastern lowland Scotland. There seems to be more autumn juveniles around & more adults at possible breeding sites. Many of these areas are quite bird-rich & the presence of tall industrial buildings, cooling towers, etc seem to be attracting birds -however human access to these sites is difficult ( & of course I am not licensed by SNH to pursue this!). Could northern & western Scottish birds be moving onto territories in the lowlands where pickings are richer & new nesting opportunities are becoming available?

Hi Steve,

I don't think established pairs would up'n'move. I also suspect the increase in the east is more related to reduced persecution in the east, rather than juvs from the west moving east - juvs from the west have always had the opportunity to move east; those that did so got shot in the past.

Personally, I suspect the answer lies in the decline of many seabirds in the area, which is in turn due to industrial fishing for sandeels, mainly for the farmed salmon industry. The well-documented repeated failure of Kittiwakes, Arctic Terns, etc, to raise many (or even any) young greatly reduces the food supply for Peregrines, particularly of inexperienced young birds which are easier for newly-fledged young Peregrines to catch.

Michael

Funnily enough I saw my first ever Peregrine only a couple of weeks back on a local coastal pond. i had superb close up views of it chasing what appeared to be a Wagtail but never quite made the capture. Obviously I have never seen them around here before as it was my first sighting though they are recorded occasionally. It has been sighted over a couple of weeks, but seems to have moved on now. I dare say it may have been just passing through the area.

Do you think they may be branching out into new areas due to changes in habitat in traditional areas ?

We certainly have plenty of Terns breeding locally not to mention Pigeons!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back