• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How to discourage cowbirds from hogging my feeder? (1 Viewer)

The Gatekeeper

Representative of the Cardinals
I run a relatively small feeding operation, just a tall pole with two tube feeders on it and some suet sometimes. But lately, this huge flock of cowbirds has been swooping in at all hours of the day and absolutely DECIMATING my seed supply. I wouldn't mind it so much if it weren't for the fact that they shove out every other kind of bird and all I can do is try and scare them off until they go away! It's really frustrating me. Any tips?

When I had this problem years ago a birder friend suggested I switch to safflower seeds and it seemed to work after a couple of days. Then they moved on.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back