• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kingbird Highway OR The Big Year (1 Viewer)

Blitz55

Watch / Snap / Draw
Was thinking of picking up one of these to read. Only have the money for one at the moment which is why I wanted to get some thoughts. Just for fun. Ill read both eventually so it really doesn't matter to to much. Or hey, maybe you have another option.

Anyone have any experience with either of these two books, or both.

:king:
Kingbird Highway: The Biggest Year in the Life of an Extreme Birder
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/kingbird-highway-kenn-kaufman/1111344679?ean=9780547349442

OR

:flyaway:
The Big Year: A Tale of Man, Nature, and Fowl Obsession
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/big-year-mark-obmascik/1102962181?ean=9781439107454

(You can buy both as used paperbacks/hardbacks from Amazon for the price of one you're looking at - but presume you're getting ebooks on purpose?)

Both make a good read, I'd go for Kingbird Highway first, simply because you are then reading them in the correct chronological order in the pursuit of the US year listing record.

(You can buy both as used paperbacks/hardbacks from Amazon for the price of one you're looking at - but presume you're getting ebooks on purpose?)

Both make a good read, I'd go for Kingbird Highway first, simply because you are then reading them in the correct chronological order in the pursuit of the US year listing record.

What Dan said.

I'd concur - Kingbird Hwy first. But Big Year is definitely worth reading. I love most big year-type books, though.

If you're looking for more after these two, here are some reviews I've written of other big year books - http://www.birderslibrary.com/tag/big-year/

Of these, I'd particularly recommend The Big Twitch (Australia) and The Biggest Twitch (worldwide).

Not year listing per se but To See Every Bird is worth a read.

Around the World with 1000 Birds was a bit disappointing.

If you ever want to read a very different year list challenge book you could try Birdwatchingwatching by Alex Horne.

Stephen

Thanks for the response everyone. :)

I know I could get them cheaper in paper back but I was looking to get them on my Nook Tablet through Barns and Noble. I love reading on that thing because I don't need light at night haha.

Okay, Kings Highway it is followed by The Big Year. (Along with a book my Pops got me recently called OLD MANS WAR which is a sci fi novel.)

I am coming to this a bit late, but I will add my two cents worth. I love both books and both should be on the shelf of any serious birder.

Kingbird Highway is a wonderful, well written classic, but if I were forced to choose one over the other, I would have to go with The Big Twitch. Sean's background as a comedy writer comes through in a way that makes it a wonderful read (even for non-birders). He is never heavy-handed with humour, it is just the touches in the right places. His knowledge of Aussie birding is also phenomenal.

I am from the US, but began birding late in life (mid-50's) in Oz where my wife and now I live. Or more correctly, will be living, we are in the US due to a family illness, but we will be back there sometime next year for good! I credit The Big Twitch with part of my passion for birding, having read it early as my birding interest was budding. I have reread it a couple of times now that I have been to more of the places he writes about, and that makes it even more enjoyable.

I hope you enjoy both books!
Cheers,
rb

Currently on amazon.com, you can get Kingbird Highway for $3.10 (plus shipping) and The Big Year for $.01 (plus shipping). I personally enjoyed Kingbird Highway much more.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back