• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Derbyshire County Birding (4 Viewers)

Yes, not sure if it was the first or second hide. The Woody was also taken there. I must pay a visit there as soon as it stops raining. Anyone wanting a lift from the Stoke area to join the Carsinton bird club or a wander around the reservior send me a PM.
HAPPY BIRDING
Jim

Thats also a lovely picture Jim. I wish i was that good at photographing birds.

Went to Padley yesterday - my first visit, primarily to fill the big Pied Flycatcher shaped hole in my life list (sucessful!). We had at least 2 separate Wood Warblers calling from different areas of the wood.

A walk aolng the river also showed up Redstart (a cracking male singing from the top of a couple of trees), Whinchat, Stonechat, Dipper, Grey Wag.

Couldn't find any Red Grouse on Beeley Moor though (although the weather was dire!).

Anna, I live just over the border in North Notts & will also be keeping a close eye on this thread!

Cheers

Mike

Hi Mike, where abouts did you see the Pied Flycatchers? I've seen them before but last time i went i couldn't see one. Is it best to see them on the side of the river nearest to the cafe?

Whereabouts did you see the Pied Flycatchers? I've seen them before but last time i went i couldn't see one. Is it best to see them on the side of the river nearest to the cafe?

You can see them on both sides of the river, but generally I find them easier to see on the opposite side of the river from the cafe. This also seems the best side for Wood Warblers and when I was last there a few weeks ago I got the attached photo of one.

Attachments

• 6383 wood warbler 3.jpg
    6383 wood warbler 3.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 425
Nice photo Mike, they are a hard bird to catch with the camera.
Anna, I've got more bad photos than good ones, keep at it girl, you will get better.

Hi Jim,

I know that you have got a lot of good photo's as well as I have seen them.

Mark, that is an excellent photo.

Anna, well done your Derbyshire County Birding thread is up and running.

Dean

Cheadle Birder

Steve - Re: Nadins Pool -
What do you locals think ?
Regards Steve.........
In fairness: this whole site has been earmarked for civic use for around twenty years or so. There was a coal mine on the site, then open-cast, then a waste tip and now it's awaiting the final few steps; golf course etc.

A lot of work has gone into that whole south Derbyshire area in the last ten years. Being at the heart of the new national forest; the number of areas that have been planted up with trees or otherwise improved for biodiversity is fairly amazing and obviously very welcome. The south Derbyshire that I see now and the potential is a very far cry from the post industrial wasteland that I first found thirty or so years ago; pit-heads, smoke, coal dust everywhere and huge slag and waste heaps wherever you looked. Another ten and twenty years from now, south Derbyshire will be a very nice place indeed thanks to all of the work that's gone on during the last ten years.

Nadins pond is a potentially excellent site, unfortunately I think that it would be wishful thinking to hope that it will become any kind of nature reserve. I suppose that the people of Swadlincote could be forgiven for playing golf and walking their dogs there (not the idiots on motorbikes though) when I think also of the huge amount of other local work that has occurred in the last ten years for ecology and environmental improvement.

Nadins Pond as a nature reserve would be nice but if I'm completely honest I don't think that it would be the greatest of losses to the areas ecological potential. It is a shame though that it will probably become something as sterile as a golf course.

I popped into Willington GP last night; access still difficult due to high water levels, it'll be interesting to see the damage when the water goes down a bit more. It'll recover soon enough I guess but I would imagine that all of the nesting warblers and waders have had a rough ride. The Anglers won't be too chuffed either.

Sorry Anna, I forgot to mention; thanks for starting the thread.

You can see them on both sides of the river, but generally I find them easier to see on the opposite side of the river from the cafe. This also seems the best side for Wood Warblers and when I was last there a few weeks ago I got the attached photo of one.

Thats a lovely photo

Wheres the PS hide at Carsington?

Anna,

There are four hides at Carsington, the Wildlife Centre (WLC) the glassed central heated one near the Visitor Centre C/pk, the Lane Ends Hide which is about half way between Visitor Centre C/pk and Sheepwash C/pk, then the two near Sheepwash C/pk, the first is Sheepwash Hide itself the second is the Paul Stanley Hide (PSHide), the latter is the one with the feeders on the track down behind the hide where you get Willow Tit etc.

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear, so used to abreviating things up there!

By the way... Cracking Wood Warbler shot above!

I'll be popping 'home' in three weeks time or so, for a day or two.

anyone know if Wood Warblers can still be seen at Ryder Point / Hopton Quarry?

Tim

Not sure Tim, not heard of any but I'll ask round and get back to you if I hear anything, Steve Mann had some in the spring round Matlock Forest as well.

cheers

Hi Anna

I'm not sure where we were in relation to the cafe.

We parked along the road just north of the woods overlooking the meadow & moorland (Lawrences Field?) and walked back through the woods on the other side of the river.

We heard a Wood Warbler not long after getting into the Oakwoods proper, but the Pied Fly (& another Woody) were a quite a way further along the path.

We then walked north along the river towards the road bridge - Redstart, Whinchat, Stonechat & Dipper along here.

Popped into the cafe after for a very welcome mug of tea and a rather fine bacon & sausage cob!

Mike

Tim

Hi Tim,

Not heard of them at Hopton for ages. Best bets are Padley or Goyt. You'll get a fix of Pied Fly's as well, and both are nicer to walk in my opinion.

John

Anna,

There are four hides at Carsington, the Wildlife Centre (WLC) the glassed central heated one near the Visitor Centre C/pk, the Lane Ends Hide which is about half way between Visitor Centre C/pk and Sheepwash C/pk, then the two near Sheepwash C/pk, the first is Sheepwash Hide itself the second is the Paul Stanley Hide (PSHide), the latter is the one with the feeders on the track down behind the hide where you get Willow Tit etc.

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear, so used to abreviating things up there!

By the way... Cracking Wood Warbler shot above!

Thanks Gomphus.
I no where you mean now. I went there last week and saw a Jay and the time before that i saw a great spotted woodpecker. What else can you see around that area?

Tim

Hi Tim at Hopton Hill, a few months back, there were some wood warblers and also a woodcock. Yet that one was a few months back. Yet i just thought i would let you know so that you at least know that they have been seen this year.

The other day to went to Ogston and the place has really come to life over the last few weeks. There has been garden warblers, willow warblers, sedge warblers, reed warblers, chiffchaffs, whitethroats.
Have any of you been to Ogston recentely? If not you should go and have a look.

Got me wellies out and went down to Willington GP to see the damage. The lane is still flooded up to about 9 inches in places.
Needless to say the tern and BH Gull nesting colonies have been destroyed. In fact just the tops of the islands are showing, and the new scrapes are totally under water. Most of the gulls and terns appear to have relocated to the new workings. I'll take a walk up the canal tomorrow to look over the new workings to see if the birds are trying again there.

Got me wellies out and went down to Willington GP to see the damage. The lane is still flooded up to about 9 inches in places.
Needless to say the tern and BH Gull nesting colonies have been destroyed. In fact just the tops of the islands are showing, and the new scrapes are totally under water. Most of the gulls and terns appear to have relocated to the new workings. I'll take a walk up the canal tomorrow to look over the new workings to see if the birds are trying again there.

It's upsetting isn't it John. Do you think that they will try again this year for more young ( second brood ).

In the last brood from the tern and the BH gull, did the chicks hatch?

Anna,

TBH I hadn't been down for a couple of weeks before the floods came so don't know if they had hatched. Don't think they will try again now.
Went along the canal to the 'new' workings yesterday morning and there were no gulls or terns up there, though I did see 4 Common Sands.
Went up on the footbridge over the railway and had fun watching a Whitethroat feeding in the middle of the railway lines for 10 minutes. Guess the stones had warmed up in the early sun and attracted the bugs. Also had 4 Oystercatchers on the fields at the back of the reserve from the bridge.

John

Re the Wood Warblers, there are a couple in Hall Dale too, apparantly the ones in Matlock Forest have moved on.

Anna whereabouts at the Hopton Hill area did you get them earlier? (where exactly do you mean by Hopton Hill?)

As regards The Paul Stanley area of Carsington, we get Spotted Fly down there sometimes, and if you are really lucky Lesser Spotted Woodpecker. Plus you do get fantastic views of common birds on the feeders. It also can be a good hide to view the gull roost from (in the winter) if the winds in the right direction, they take shelter in the early part of the gathering behind the spit before moving out into the res'.
That area is odd as the nest box scheme behind the hide is never as successful as everywhere else, we have not yet worked out why but it must be some sort of enviromental differences in that area.

Cheers

Last edited:
Re the Wood Warblers, there are a couple in Hall Dale too, apparantly the ones in Matlock Forest have moved on.

Anna whereabouts at the Hopton Hill area did you get them earlier? (where exactly do you mean by Hopton Hill?)

As regards The Paul Stanley area of Carsington, we get Spotted Fly down there sometimes, and if you are really lucky Lesser Spotted Woodpecker. Plus you do get fantastic views of common birds on the feeders. It also can be a good hide to view the gull roost from (in the winter) if the winds in the right direction, they take shelter in the early part of the gathering behind the spit before moving out into the res'.
That area is odd as the nest box scheme behind the hide is never as successful as everywhere else, we have not yet worked out why but it must be some sort of enviromental differences in that area.

Cheers

Hopton Hill
When going to Hopton Hill park at the north end of the Hopton holiday camp and a path follows near a golf course. Around this area is where the Wood Warblers are!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back