• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Goa 2013 (1 Viewer)

Had our last day of birdwatching with Raymon. We went to Terekol Fort which is the furtherest north you can go in Goa. A bridge is being built across the Terekol river so this will be the last time that we will have used the ferry which is a bit of a blow.
If you drive to the hotel and park outside, there is a large sign saying trespassers will be prosecuted.
Go past this sign and you enter an area similar to Fort Aguada. Paddy fields which lead to rocky roads which eventually come to a cliff over the sea.
We have had several great birds here over the years including Yellow footed Green Pigeon and Grey-necked Bunting.
Today we had Orange Breasted Green Pigeons, loads of different Larks and Pipits and the star of the show which was a Blue Rock Thrush which was in rocks beneath the cliffs.
We then went to Mandrem beach for lunch and a snooze.
Unless anything astonishing hops in front of us before Wednesday, this is my last post on this thread. Bye bye Goa, hello Gujarat.

Looking forward to hearing how all the others faired and a wave to Paul and partner who we met in a restaurant.

Had our last day of birdwatching with Raymon. We went to Terekol Fort which is the furtherest north you can go in Goa. A bridge is being built across the Terekol river so this will be the last time that we will have used the ferry which is a bit of a blow.
If you drive to the hotel and park outside, there is a large sign saying trespassers will be prosecuted.
Go past this sign and you enter an area similar to Fort Aguada. Paddy fields which lead to rocky roads which eventually come to a cliff over the sea.
We have had several great birds here over the years including Yellow footed Green Pigeon and Grey-necked Bunting.
Today we had Orange Breasted Green Pigeons, loads of different Larks and Pipits and the star of the show which was a Blue Rock Thrush which was in rocks beneath the cliffs.
We then went to Mandrem beach for lunch and a snooze.
Unless anything astonishing hops in front of us before Wednesday, this is my last post on this thread. Bye bye Goa, hello Gujarat.

Looking forward to hearing how all the others faired and a wave to Paul and partner who we met in a restaurant.

Hi Jeanie

We got back home late on Sunday evening and it has been a struggle. Doesnt help with the grey skies and temp just above freezing!

We had a great time and ended with 249 species in 2 weeks. We only had guides at Backwoods and Santosh for one morning looking for owls so i am happy with that. I am sure we will be back sometime although there are plenty of other places to visit first.

We had a nice chat with the owners of the restaurant on our last day and had a nice spicy curry :)

Paul

Well done Paul. Next visit to India you could think about the Himalayas, totally different birds and culture.

We went to Sri Lanka and used the company Walk with Jith. He arranges all sorts of tours from just accommodation and car or a fully organised trip with bird guide which we had and which was great.

We went to Sri Lanka and used the company Walk with Jith. He arranges all sorts of tours from just accommodation and car or a fully organised trip with bird guide which we had and which was great.

We are using the same guy! Any advice or tips for travelling there would be gratefully recieved. PM me if you like

Paul

Hi Mark, do you know if there is an 'official' place to report birds in India? I know there is quite a strong ornithological society in Mumbai, I wonder if that is the place that holds the records.

Hi Jeanie,

You can report your sightings here http://www.migrantwatch.in (MigrantWatch). As the name suggests its only for the migrants. You will not find very old records but this site is getting good no of hits recently. It's not part of the BNHS but it's a project from the National Centre for Biological Sciences(NCBN).

Hi Jeanie,
We just got back on Friday evening from out trip to Goa (9 days) followed by Sri Lanka (2 weeks). Wonderful time. Didn't do as well as Paul in Goa but saw over 200 species. Thanks for all the tips.:t:

For those going, the Indian Pitta is still in Arpora Woods on LHS maybe 50m beyond the end of the wall that is on opposite side to the entrance to Club Cubana.

Cheers
John

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back