• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding on Melbourne - Tasmania ferry crossing (2 Viewers)

brechtc

Belgium
Hi everyone,

I'm travelling around Australia for about 6 months and will be visiting Tasmania for 3 weeks in January. Because our itinerary isn't really that fixed, it's difficult to book onto a real pelagic trip (they're fully booked quickly). I was wondering if anyone has experience with birding on the ferry crossing to Tasmania? Is it worth it to spend some hours on the deck? And if so, any good hotspots along the way (close to port or in the middle of the trip, etc.)? I know it's nowhere near a real pelagic trip, but I'm at least hoping to see some albatrosses :)

Hi brechtc and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. Sorry I can't really help with your question but no doubt someone will be along before too long with some ideas for you, I think one at least of our members has gone to Taz by boat, but not sure of the time of year he sailed.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Thanks for the welcome Delia! What's the best place on the forum to ask other questions about birding spots in Australia? This one or the local patch - Australia subforum?

Thanks for the welcome Delia! What's the best place on the forum to ask other questions about birding spots in Australia? This one or the local patch - Australia subforum?
Many Tas pelagics go out of Eaglehawk Neck. You can find more info by searching "Tasmania pelagic birding" for a start. I would reach out to Paul Brooks and ask if you can't find a posted schedule, but pelagics are often planned well in advance which can make it hard to time a visit for one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back