• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Central Park, New York, August 2008 (1 Viewer)

Hi Nick,
Welcome to New York. Central Park is always interesting and at 410 E 92nd you are a stone's throw from Gracie Mansion( the official mayors residence ) and its Park, as well as just a five minute walk from CP. The last 5 years sightings around NYC, including Jamaica Bay, Prospect and Central Park are recorded here: http://www.nycbirdreport.com/index.html
This should allow you to set your expectations for August. Given city traffic and parking, I think a car is just an encumbrance. Subways and cabs are much faster and more flexible. That said, don't expect to steal away for a quick trip to Prospect Park, much less Jamaica Bay. Transit times are half hour plus for the one, 2-3 times that for the other. You might instead take your son up to the Cloisters, by Ft Tryon Park, at the north end of Manhattan(take the #4bus on Madison Ave to the end, about 1 hr), a beautiful collection of medieval tapestries, carvings and paintings in a spectacular setting overlooking the Hudson Palisades. This of course assumes that he is willing. Inwood Park, which abuts the Ft Tryon site about a mile further north, is Manhattans last vestige of near virgin woodland and is as good for birding as any site on the island. With great luck, you might see a Bald Eagle or an Osprey, as these raptors fish the Hudson around there. More likely, you will see woodpeckers, kingbirds, chickadees and perhaps an owl.

Hi Etudiant,
Apologies only just picked up your reply, thanks for info, where ever I go it will have to be in the early hours as my son won't be intersted in any birding. Have already arranged some birding in Central Park will have to decide on Jamaica Bay when I get there. If you are around at the time would be great to meet up

Thanks again

Cheers
Nick

Hi Nick,

The issue is that although the drive (depending on where you are staying in NYC) isn't that bad distance wise you are always hitting traffic for the airport so the earlier you can leave the better and if you can do it on a weekend not a weekday so as to avoid rush hour traffic that will also help.

Luke

Hi Luke,
Have sorted it now where I am going to stop at near JFK airport on the night of 14th Aug so I can quickly get to Jamaica Bay the next morning (I will have a rental car). We fly home on Saturday. Means I don't have to fight my way out to Jamaica Bay earlier in the holiday from down town New York. Looking forward to it.

Prior to that will have been to Central Park, the Caskill's, Niagra Falls and Toronto so hope to pick up a good number of birds during the 11 days!

By the way tried to PM you but your account is full

Cheers
Nick

Last edited:
Nick,

Depending on your drive to/from Niagara Falls and Toronto, you may want to take a quick look at the Montezuma National Wildlife Refuge. It is not far from exit 41 on the NY State Thruway, nor is it far from the Glen (directions can be found here: http://www.fws.gov/r5mnwr/mnwrmaps.html).

At the least, you should be able to do the wildlife drive, which is a four mile route along the main pool. Or, you could just stop and take in the view from the tower at the Tschache Pool. Amongst some of the birds you may get a chance to see this time of year include osprey, bald eagles, great blue heron, mallards, American coot, blue winged teal, American Wigeons, and black terns. Amongst the passerines you might see include mourning doves, American robins, American Goldfinch, and ceader waxwings.

You may find this blog piece from one of our local journalists of interest (he does a great local birding blog):

http://php.democratandchronicle.com/blog/birds/?p=706

For more information on Montezuma you can go to the following sites:

http://www.fws.gov/r5mnwr/home.html
http://friendsofmontezuma.org/

You'll be going through both the Finger Lakes and the Lake Ontario region wine countries. If you imbibe, you may want to plan a stop at one of the local wineries.

Enjoy your travels.

JSO

So how did you make out in Manhattan?

Besides the CP area there are a couple of places on buildings that some I believe Red Tails are nesting.

The trip to Central and Western NY into Watkins Glen is a trove of places to Bird. Very curious as to how you made out.

Mark G

Hi GO (and others)

I have decided to lock on to this thread for my forthcoming trip.

Date of my arrival is Sat Oct 4th (mid afternoon) and then depart for Kansas on the Wednesday. I am staying in Avenel NJ. I may try to get to CP later that afternoon, not sure how feasable that will be.

Jamaica bay on the Sunday sounds good if you or any other forum members would like to meet up.

Dave

Hello Dave,

Try this site for a guided bird watching tour on Sundays, of Central Park:
here
Birding Bob knows the Park.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

Hi Arthur

Thanks for the link. Am getting pretty excited about the whole visit now. I will be in CP on the Sunday, then Jetting off (well at least a taxi) to Jamaica Bay for the afternoon.

I guess with all the running about I should expect some blurred photos!!

Still not invested in a 400 or 500mm lense yet :(

Best wishes
Dave

PS
How much for a taxi from CP to JB ?

Hi Arthur

Thanks for the link. Am getting pretty excited about the whole visit now. I will be in CP on the Sunday, then Jetting off (well at least a taxi) to Jamaica Bay for the afternoon.

I guess with all the running about I should expect some blurred photos!!

Still not invested in a 400 or 500mm lense yet :(

Best wishes
Dave

PS
How much for a taxi from CP to JB ?

Dave,

I am clueless as I take the tube, or subway in the local variant of English and an expensive taxi might not save much time.
Unfortunately, Sunday is a bad day for public transport because there are fewer trains and more construction delays. You need the "A" train to the Rockaways, sometime marked "JFK Train," to Broad Channel. Walk west to Cross Bay Blvd., then north to the Wildlife refuge. Sometimes there is a bus on the Blvd., which may be free if the trip was not lengthy. The walk is about fifteen minutes. The train is a journey of ninety minutes from Columbus Circle, although the "A" might stop at W. 72nd at the Park, on Sundays.

I find the trip so much effort, that I rarely go to Jamaica Bay. The last time was in November and I may not get there, again, until November.

If you are staying with friends in New Jersey, there are plenty of wetlands and shore, over there.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur

Hi Arthur
Thank for the info, I think I will land in the States and see what happens, if I plan too much you know what will happen!!

Cant wait though.......

Best regards
Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back